PDA

View Full Version : Sleds extensions right and left

Martin Hart
07-19-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm new to all this woodwork stuff, let alone this discussion list, but I have a question - at least one.
Miter gauge extensions (Osborne etc.) and commercial sleds (Dubby etc.) seem to fit on the left side of the table saw blade yet extension tables always seem to be fitted to the right end, presumably so I can move the fence further from the blade. Wouldn't I want the extension table to be supporting the wood I'm cutting with the mitre gauge and hence on the left side of the saw? I certainly use the support I've made on the left - never on the right.
Just thinking.

larry merlau
07-19-2005, 7:38 AM
the dubby and some of the others do make sleds for the left side as well as the right side. i feel it depends on what your prefernces are, i am right handed and use both at times. i have both a right and left sled. but he left side is more comfortable to me. they also have extensions for the sled that are designed to catch the cutoff to avoid binding. its probally like the cars over here they are set up for right handed driving but in london they are left.

Michael Gabbay
07-19-2005, 8:03 AM
Martin -

I made a left side sled which works very nice for moderate sized panels. However, my plan is to make a right side sled for extra long panels. That will allow me to use the extension table to support the longer panel. If I were to start over I would only make a right side sled. It is really up to what you make and your personal preferences.

Mike

Jim Becker
07-19-2005, 8:55 AM
Whether you cut bevels or not and if yes, which way your blade tilts will also affect the "optimium" position for your sled on a given cut. The best thing is to have multiple sleds...they are cheap to make!

Mike Kelly
07-19-2005, 9:21 AM
Jim said it, but it may not be clear. If you cut BEVELS you may need a right and left sled like the "Dubby". Jointech has a left sled that accomodates both positive and negative angles. It just depends on what you need it for. I got my Dubby years ago to cut accuate miters, period. It works perfectly still. I got a Jointech because I liked the fence. I gave up on even trying to use the stock miter gauge long ago.