PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer fence reface and a hold down question

Raymond Seward
12-12-2014, 12:00 PM
I bought a used Biesemeyer fence and it needs to be refaced. I was thinking about replacing the face with a Woodpeckers Super Track http://www.woodpeck.com/supertrack.html
Has anyone ever done this and if so how did you attach it to the fence? Also I frequently use a feather board to hold the stock to the table...that said, the rear of the fence lifts up. Is this common or is there a clip to attach the fence to the rear rail that I am missing. I've looked at different parts list and have not seen anything. I've been using a clamp to hold down the fence in the meantime.
Thank you for your help
Ray

Matt Day
12-12-2014, 2:01 PM
Raymond - great idea! I'd like to do this at sometime too.

Google "reface Biesmeyer fence" and there will be a hit from NCwoodworker that outlines exactly what you want to do.

Raymond Seward
12-12-2014, 2:35 PM
Thank you Matt....I guess I would be reluctant to cut holes in the tube so probably a face mount with threaded holes would be best. Any thought on the hold down question?

Vince Shriver
12-12-2014, 2:54 PM
I've used a C-clamp to hold the fence down when needed for years.

glenn bradley
12-12-2014, 3:30 PM

Same here but it is a light duty f-style clamp. I have seen permanent mods to the end of the fence but, I have only needed this a couple times in as many years so I just clamp it. As for the face, I believe someone else here used the product you show. I would run into trouble with the slots in the lower area but, you may not. One at a featherboard height just below the top of the face would do me. YMMV.

Matt Day
12-12-2014, 4:39 PM
You of course could just put a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" mdf as a cover for most cutting operations and take it off when you need the T slots.

Raymond Seward
12-13-2014, 9:14 AM
Thanks for your responses folks....I'll keep clamping as it's no big deal. I was just wondering if something was missing. As well, I'll go with the Supertrack and screw it to the face. And yes a piece of MDF will suffice too. Happy sawing and Holidays to all :)

Frederick Skelly
12-13-2014, 11:37 AM

I do the same.

Youll LOVE that Biesemeyer after you get it set up. Rock solid and accurate. After you add the aluminum track, how about posting a few pics and a short description of how you did it? I may copy your interesting idea!
Fred

Lee Schierer
12-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Thank you Matt....I guess I would be reluctant to cut holes in the tube so probably a face mount with threaded holes would be best. Any thought on the hold down question?

I've never had to clamp down my Biesemeyer fence when using my magnetic feather boards.302063. Between it's own stiffness and the weight added by my fence cover it down not move in the vertical direction once the clamp lever is pushed down

Matt Day
12-13-2014, 8:12 PM
Fred,
Find the thread on the other forum i mentioned and you'll see a good pictorial of it done already.

Frederick Skelly
12-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Fred,
Find the thread on the other forum i mentioned and you'll see a good pictorial of it done already.

Thanks Matt!