PDA

View Full Version : Bounce This Around !!

Randy Meijer
07-18-2005, 11:25 PM
BOUNCE THIS AROUND

Great Tips....Who woulda thought?

The US Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow jackets away. The yellow jackets just veer around you. And all this time you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer!

It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them.

It also repels mice. Spread them around foundation areas, or in trailers, cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.

It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.

Repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.

Eliminates static electricity from your television (or computer) screen. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.

Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of Bounce.

Freshen the air in your home. Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a rawer or hang in the closet. Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner.

Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew.

Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.

Freshen the air in your car. Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.

Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with
water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food.

Eliminate odors in wastebaskets.. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.

Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.

Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds.Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.

Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.

Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.

Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or
sneakers overnight.

Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away.

Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them. Keeps them smelling fresh.

And now that you know, print and keep on file or bounce (pass) it around. :-)

Bill Lewis
07-19-2005, 6:52 AM
Sounds like a case for "Mythbusters"

Jim Becker
07-19-2005, 9:09 AM
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/bounce.asp

Some true, some false, some dubious.

Randy Meijer
07-19-2005, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll pass that along to my sister who sent me the piece originally.

BTW, on another board, someone reported using a BOUNCE sheet to wipe his safety glasses and faceshield to reduce static and keep sawdust from accumulating.

Jim Becker
07-19-2005, 4:39 PM
Dryer fabric softener sheets are designed with anit-static properties, so that's why they tend to work for those creative applications. Personally, I can't stand the things unless they are unscented! Sneeze city...

Bill Lewis
07-19-2005, 6:09 PM
Ditto That! All the "suggestions" about using them for an air freshener made me want to gag. i think I'd rather drink grandma's perfume.

Chris Padilla
07-19-2005, 6:51 PM
On the other hand, car detailers do not like the Bounce dryer sheets because that can impart their coating onto detailing towels/rags/cloths and gum up a detail job.

Randy Meijer
07-20-2005, 1:59 AM
Got a response from a guy on another board who puts a sheet of BOUNCE in the paper tray of his copy machine to prevent paper jams from static electricity during the winter months. Swears that it works and he is in the copier business.

Lee DeRaud
07-20-2005, 9:38 AM
On the other hand, car detailers do not like the Bounce dryer sheets because that can impart their coating onto detailing towels/rags/cloths and gum up a detail job.I've always been told not to use fabric softener sheets with towels: they aren't as absorbent afterwards.

Lee DeRaud
07-20-2005, 9:41 AM
Personally, I can't stand the things unless they are unscented! Sneeze city...I had a really bad eye irritation that traced back to that: scented softener sheet residue on the pillowcase was getting into the outside corner of the eye on my "down" side.:eek:

Switched to unscented...then, just to be safe, put the pillowcases in with the towels (see my other post).

Lee Schierer
07-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll pass that along to my sister who sent me the piece originally.

BTW, on another board, someone reported using a BOUNCE sheet to wipe his safety glasses and faceshield to reduce static and keep sawdust from accumulating.

I have done this with my face shield and it does work quite well.

Mike Cutler
07-20-2005, 4:02 PM
It won't keep bee's away, I can state that for a fact, and neither does Skin so Soft. I had 14 active hives in the backyard, once upon a time. The Bounce and Avon product were supposed to help keep the bee's from being able to transmit their chemical signals. The bee's had no problems communicating to each other their source of consternation, Me. One more myth to dispel while on the subject of bee's. They can "see" just fine at night. :eek:
Damhikt

Randy Meijer
07-20-2005, 5:42 PM
...It won't keep bee's away...

To be fair, the claim was that it repelled yellow jackets, not bees. I don't know whether it is true or not; but would guess that "IF" the USPS issued a memo, there must be something to it.

I'm planning a picnic at the local park this weekend and it's loaded with yellow jackets. I will test this particular claim for myself!!!

Mike Cutler
07-20-2005, 6:24 PM
Randy. I was being a bit silly in my earlier post, I apologize. Working a hive with 60,000+ bee's isn't a fair test of Bounce.
Bee's. Like yellow jackets and wasps and Mason's bee's transmit information via electrochemical stimulations. The theory behind the Bounce is that the chemicals in Bounce will interfere with the receptors in the bee's/ wasp's. thus mitigating their ability to communicate.
If the park that you are going to is loaded with yellow jackets, they are most likely attracted to the garbage cans filled with soft drink cans and candy wrappers. Keep open soft drink containers away from where you are at.
One way to get rid of the yellow jackets is to bait them with someting they like. Soak a large sponge, or an old T-shirt in a solution of 4:1 sugar water 4 parts sugar 1 part water, and place it well away from where you will be at in the park. The yellow jackets, bee's and wasps will find it in about a 1/2 hour to an hour and will work it. hopefully leaving you alone. What works even better is to use warm honey in exchange for the sugar water. The smell of the honey will attract all the insects quicker, except mosquitoe's.
I cleared an approximate 5 acre space with some old frames of honey in the State park once, of course I had to go back and get my frames at nightfall and the wasps were still on them.
Bee's and yellow jackets are beneficial insects, but they can be really annoying pests at a picnic.

Randy Meijer
07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Mike: No apology necessary.....no offense taken. I just figured it was possible that Bounce might work with yellow jackets and not with bees?? I used to have 4 hives of bees in the back yard and kept them for 5 years. They are facinating little creatures and I enjoyed them as much as any "animal" I have ever kept. Turns out there was a local ordinance against keeping them in the city and one neighbor wasn't happy about my guys visiting his swimming pool. I always wore a net; but never wore a suit and only put on gloves if boys were having a bad day. I got nailed a few times; but what keeper hasn't?? The guy who got me started was a professional keeper with thousands of hives. He had been stung so many times that he was totally immune. I always carried one of those little snake bite kits with me that had the syringe that creates a strong suction. Always slapped that puppy on a sting after scraping out the stinger and the reaction wasn't much worse than a mosquito bite!!!

Lee Schierer
07-21-2005, 1:09 PM
Randy. I was being a bit silly in my earlier post, I apologize. Working a hive with 60,000+ bee's isn't a fair test of Bounce.

You didn't read the fine print, you're supposed rub each of the bees with the bounce sheets to disrupt their communications. :D