PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on fence for my table saw

Floyd Cox
12-12-2014, 6:08 AM
Is $540 a fairprice for the saw listed below or would I be better off just buying mea Vega fence for around $300.00 for my Delta 36-465

Craftsman cabinet table saw 10" - $540

Sears Craftsman 1.75 hp 120 volt cabinet style table saw in great condition.Included with saw is a 42" Biesemeyer fence and a HTC mobile base.
The sawis about 12 years old but has not seen much use in recent years, still runs great.

http://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_2DRvwT7r3iA_600x450.jpg

Lee Schierer
12-12-2014, 8:49 AM
I can't speak for the saw, but I have a Biesemeyer fence on my craftsman contractor saw and love it. It locks down parallel to the blade every time. It took a few minutes to install it and adjust the fence parallel to the miter slot, but it has stayed that way for many years. Just the fence, sells for $270 on Amazon. Rails are an additional $240.

Floyd Cox
12-12-2014, 9:34 AM
Lee, that you for the information.

I can't speak for the saw, but I have a Biesemeyer fence on my craftsman contractor saw and love it. It locks down parallel to the blade every time. It took a few minutes to install it and adjust the fence parallel to the miter slot, but it has stayed that way for many years. Just the fence, sells for $270 on Amazon. Rails are an additional $240.

Todd Davidson
12-12-2014, 9:48 AM
Several years ago I upgraded from a similar Delta Contractor Saw to a Craftsman 22124 Hybrid (the same saw you're looking at). The advantages for me were having the Biesemeyer Fence, two 12" cast iron wings, cabinet mounted trunions, left tilt, and greatly improved dust collection. My Delta contractor had a 1.5HP Motor (made by Marathon) and the C'man claims a 1.75HP (China made) motor. Power-wise, there is no discernible difference. I find that TK blades work better than full kerf (I actually get the best cuts on material under 1" thick and in plywood using a 9" Forrest WWII). The inserts are the same size as Delta & Steel City (as the saw is a brother to both companies' hybrid saws) so no worries about obsolescence. I think the price is fair (these retailed for around $1200, but were often on sale for under 1k - I purchased mine on some crazy sale coupled with a C'man Club discount for $666 close to 10 years ago) especially if there are "extras" included - mobile base, blades, etc. I don't see the miter gauge that came with the saw in the photo (to be honest - it stinks anyway). Of course, offer less. If the saw has as little use as claimed it's still a good score at the asking price imho.........

Tom Ewell
12-12-2014, 9:49 AM
I've got the hybrid version of Cman from that era when they first came out, added Vega, Shark, Incra etc. it has been dependable/sufficient for my work (mostly cabinet type stuff), dust collection is pretty good and critical parts are still in great shape.
I believe the cabinet version has a beefier motor and the Beis is nice. Added value for the mobile and if a decent blade is installed. There may also be some throw in goodies available to sweeten the deal like dado's, inserts and the like.

Might compare the price point for a new saw and see what specs they have, personally I think a well maintained non abused table saw ages very well and a decade is nuttin'

David Hendricks
12-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Yes that saw is worth it, especially with the upgraded fence. I you are fine with the 1.75hp motor then its a great deal.

Chris Padilla
12-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I have an Incra fence and I don't think I could ever use another. Being to have repeatable cuts within 0.001" and dead nuts accuracy every 1/32" is quite nice.

It has its drawback since it is a "T" style fence and wide cuts can have the bottom of the 'T' banging into things but it's not that bad.

glenn bradley
12-12-2014, 3:35 PM
I had that saw for years. If an unexpected windfall wouldn't have led to a Saw Stop PCS I would still have it. Dad is happy though, its the second one of my saws he has inherited. Somehow I am coming up short though; he gets my well cared for old saw for free and I deliver it and set it up for him!?! The Saw Stop fence is nice and has a bit easier adjustability but, I sure enjoy going to dad's and using the Beis now and again. No bells and whistles but, once you have worked with one (that hasn't been thrashed), you tend to expect everything else to work as smooth.

Ken Frohnert
12-12-2014, 9:59 PM
About 10 years ago I bought a 1970's Unisaw with the original Delta fence on it. About 2 weeks later I was walking through Lowes and there is a Biesmyer fence/rails set on clearance - I believe it was $200 or so don't remember exactly - But a deal. I bought it then and there - took it home it fit my Unisaw perfectly. The those rectangular rails and heavy fence make it really solid. It is a GREAT fence system. Mine is exactly like the one in your picture.

Can't speak to the saw specifically. But my Unisaw is only 1.5 hp and it has no problem cutting what I need cut and I will run a dado set on it - recently I had it set up for 23/32 dado's for a plywood cabinet. No issue at all. If I could have one thing - it would be a riving knife not a bigger motor.

Good luck.

John Grace
12-13-2014, 9:07 AM
I too have the exact same saw in the configuration shown and I think you're looking at an excellent value. Todd's comments above are spot-on with respects to the miter gauge...I upgraded to an Incra one several years back. I re-wired my motor for 220v for a little 'cleaner' power. The outfeed table is pretty flimsy but a mobile roll-around (or my wife when she's available) readily solves the problem of cutting bigger stock.