PDA

View Full Version : Shelix head and Jet 8" Jointer

David Ragan
12-11-2014, 2:56 PM
Anyone have experience of putting the Byrd Shelix head on a jointer? In particular, a Jet 8"

I have never been that satisfied with the rippling I get with my jointer. I'm sure it would do better if I took it even slower.....

The little carbide inserts on the Shelix would certainly stay sharper a lot longer next to the fence, where all of the edge jointing takes place(?)

Marty Tippin
12-11-2014, 3:08 PM
Not entirely relevant, but my Grizzly 8" jointer has the spiral cutter head and I love it - far quieter than my old Grizzly jointer with the straight knives and a superior quality of cut.

Replacing the cutter head on a jointer shouldn't be too hard, probably a whole lot easier than on a planer like the DW735.

John Schweikert
12-11-2014, 3:14 PM
I put one on my Jet 6" last January. Wasn't difficult. You will need to push on new bearings if the head doesn't come with them or use your old bearings. I have a HF 20 ton shop press which makes pressing bearings very easy.

The jointers are simple in design and parts, you'll spend more time removing and replacing the bolts that hold the head more so than just installing the head itself. The Byrd head is quite nice on the jointer.

allan kuntz
12-11-2014, 4:46 PM
I tried one on a 6" Makita 2030 and it did not work out for me. Even with drawings it was out about 1/64". Everything fit like a glove.It would have worked if the outfeed table could have been adjusted but on the 2030 it is fixed. Just something to watch out for. The planer side works great. Real quiet but it does take extra power at start up as it is heavier than the original head

joseph f merz
12-11-2014, 5:22 PM
i put one on an 8" general . no longer need to deal with replacing dull blades and the tedious task of setting new blades . never thought of it but guess there is less tear out . leaves slight dimpling effect that sands off easily/fast .in process of getting a helix head for my planer now . hands down the way to go for me .