PDA

View Full Version : photo on black granite

Casey kerner
12-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Hey all, finished another piece tonight. Looking for honest feedback. Any of the pros have tips on improving? Thanks!

Mitchell Tutty
12-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Hi Casey.

You need to distinguish your foreground from your background more.
This is more of a general photo editing tip then anything.

I know this is reasonably lengthy, and generally isn't something economical.
But In Corel, duplicate your photo layer, and place directly on top of the other.

Select the top layer and go to Bitmaps->Blur->Gaussian Blur.
Select a pixel radiation of about 5mm.
Select the eraser tool, and select the top layer which you have just blurred and erase your foreground, or your focal point, which in this scenario are the two dogs.

I also recommend editing your brightness and contrast levels in the image adjustment centre, aim to achieve some contrast between the left side of the smaller dogs face, and the long grass.

Overall though, it's very well done.

Kind regards,
Mitchell

Bernie Fraser
12-11-2014, 1:06 AM
I'm only learning myself and I use to do some screen printing and follow Tom Knights tutorials. He posted one recently that shows the result of some Dodge and burn work which I think will work well for the small dogs face as you are applying it with the brush tool so you are maintaining detail in the rest of the image a bringing out the detail in the shadows. I know we are not interested in changing it to a sketch but the selective Dodge and burn work is worth watching.

http://youtu.be/HNlSVVojbRk

I will try the method Mitchell posted myself, always things to learn.

I think you have done a good job with that engraving.