PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions for Alder sheet project

Barbara Buhse
07-18-2005, 8:34 PM
Help please! All you creative geniuses out there...
I wish to donate some "gifts" to a charitable golf tournament...
They can have my company name, and I would also like to put the tournament info on it... BUT
I really can't think of anything unique to make for the tounament.I would like to use alder sheets, since that is the most reasonable way to go cost wise.
I was wondering if anyone could think of a little somthing that might be useful that I could make with the engraver... (I know nothing about golf, and so if there is a golf gadget that can be created on my laser, please let me know!)

I thought about a keychain, but was hoping for something the golfers would actually say "oooh" about. If I can't make anything unique, I may have to go with engraving bottle openers...

Thanks to everyone, you always have such good ideas.
:)

Jerry Allen
07-18-2005, 9:01 PM
How about getting a bag of tees and engraving them?
Or cut and engrave some of those pick up markers that golfers use on the green.

Gary Shoemake
07-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi you can try these they aren't alder but price wise they aren't that expensive. Chewbarka's Tags. ( Frank Ricci Tool company) 401 464 9911. Price list in front of me is quanties under 300 @ .32 cents. 12 colors of anodized aluminum. Really clear white underneath so you do get nice engraving. Laserbits and others distribute for them. Tell them that Gary from When Spirits Dance in NJ says hi.

HTH
Gary

Dave Strickler
07-19-2005, 8:49 AM
I recently made golf bag tags for a golf tournament out of 1/8" clear cast acrylic. The lettering and graphic of a golfer putting engraved a nice frosty white and I used gold foil for the year. The customer was quite pleased with them. I'll try to find the sample I kept and post a picture later.

I did the raster engraving on the first pass, then applied and vectored the gold foil and cut the tags out on a second pass. They would have looked nice made of alder, but the acrylic is less expensive, and still looked very classy.

Dave Strickler
York Laser, Inc.

Barbara Buhse
07-19-2005, 9:03 AM
ok, these suggestions sound great so far... exactly the kinds of things I was looking for... (Someone else is already providing some imprinted tees) and I like the golf bag tag idea AND the pick up markers, but there is one problem...

:confused: I have no idea what these things look like... (I'm lucky I know what a golf CLUB looks like).
Can you guys give me some idea what a golf bag tag would be? Like a luggage tag? A place for them to write a name? a chain for attaching?
And the marker? Are there specific dimensions?
Like I said, these suggestions are great, not too expensive and then I can give enough for every golfer.
Thanks!!!

Barbara:p

Lee DeRaud
07-19-2005, 9:53 AM
Can you guys give me some idea what a golf bag tag would be? Like a luggage tag? A place for them to write a name? a chain for attaching?
And the marker? Are there specific dimensions?Think "oversized luggage tag": room for the name/logo of the tournament, plus whatever "advertising" of your own you think you can get away with. I wouldn't bother with space for the golfer's name unless you're going to personalize them yourself. Key dimension is "big enough to be visible from ten feet, small enough not to be annoying". Typically beaded chain to attach, although I usually yank that off and replace it with a piece of leather bootlace: quieter and stronger.

Round, square, oval, whatever works. If it's the "Greater Pinetree Open", probably cut it in the shape of a tree, etc...the phrase "good taste" usually doesn't appear anywhere in the design guidelines.:p

As far as ball markers are concerned, metal only: plastic is too light, wood is too thick. No larger than a quarter, no smaller than a nickel. But I'm not sure I'd bother: most golfers either just use a coin or they have their own "lucky marker" of some sort.

Barbara Buhse
07-19-2005, 4:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I've definitely decided on the golf bag tag... mainly because one of my sepcialties is wooden business cards, and I'd love to get a "sample" in the form of a tag into these golfers hands. I think a golf course may be a real good place to pick up business for these types of things.

I offered to personalize them if they wanted to give me the roster of golfers, that way I figure maybe they're likely to keep them.
One more question,if any of you are golfers...

are these tags aquired for "showing off" about which tourneys people are in? Do golfers "collect" these like souvenirs? Because I'm still not sure of the purpose... :(

oh, and Lee, thanks for the good description and the advice on chain vs. leather, because I was going to use chain. My craft store is sure to have leather "strings" I can use.

Barbara

Laura Zaruba
07-20-2005, 9:28 AM
Barbara,

In addition to divot repair tools, I just did these alder magnets for a local event and they went over very well. They are approximately 3" round with a small strip of adhesive magnet on the back. Bag tags are something they are considering for next year.

http://www.etchedintimeengraving.com/golfball.jpg

I believe there is a member on this forum that also makes wooden ball markers - with the peg on the bottom, which you couldn't do unless you do your own wood turning (hope that's the right term, I'm an engraver not a woodworker!) I have his name at my other office but maybe he will see your post and speak up. He sent me a couple samples that were very nice. Although my husband (aka Tiger-wanna-be) said he prefers the plastic markers over wooden markers.

I also highly recommend Chewbarka.com. Frank is great to work with and the products are excellent. The divot tools are very nice and they also have a divot repair tool/ink pen/ball marker but those are a little more pricey.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Dave Strickler
07-20-2005, 9:29 AM
Golf bag tags are used for several puposes. Some courses hand them out as advertisement for their course, as do some companies. These would have the course or company logo on them.

Some tournaments I have played in hand them out as part of a "goodie bag" which also include imprinted tees, a sleeve of balls, etc. These usually have the name of the tournament and/or benefitting charity on them. Sometimes they are personalized, sometimes not.

Some golfers use them simply for ID puposes. If you do an internet search of "golf bag tags", you'll find many examples.

Below is a link to a source of items to attach the tags. For the clear acrylic tags I made, I used the clear vinyl loops and looped them through a hole vector cut into the top of the tag. They looked great. They also have the metal bead link chains, leather luggage straps, and a lot of other items.

http://www.oregonlam.com/attachmt.htm#ATTACHMENTS

Good luck and have fun!:)

Dave Strickler

Pete Simmons
07-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Take a look at these ball markers and divot tools. The golfers love them.

If you are in a hurry I could send you 100 ball markers or so to get you started. I will find the name of the place I get them. I think I pay around .05 each for the ball marker and .28 for the divot tools. I put my web site on the bottom of the ball markers as an ad.

http://www.laserimagearts.com/images/divottools.jpg

Pete Simmons
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Picture to go with other post.

Found the place I get the tees and ball markers.

golfteesetc.com/ball_markers/ (http://www.golfteesetc.com/ball_markers/)

http://www.laserimagearts.com/images/TeeBoxopen.jpg

Barbara Buhse
07-20-2005, 4:03 PM
Thanks everyone... I have made a nice sample of a golf bag tag with a photo on it of the person the scholarship is named after. The other side has my info... after finalizing the tag design, I'll post it so you can all see what great helps you were!

Barbara

Barbara Buhse
07-31-2005, 7:54 PM
Hey everyone, thanks again for the suggestions, the golf bag tags were a big success... they were very simple, but came out nice. here is a picture (I think, if I can figure out how to get it attached)

Barbara

ok, I can't seem to post the photo... keeps telling me its too large??!!

Jerry Allen
08-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Open the photo in PhotoPaint (or Photoshop) and change the size and rez under the Image menu/Resample to 96 DPI and about 5" or 6" in the largest dimension. Save it under another name as .jpg. That should do it.

Barbara Buhse
08-01-2005, 1:10 PM
ok, here goes another try at the attachment:

Thanks Jerry!

The photo is a little blurry, and this was a "reject" because of the dark knot in the corner, but you can get the general idea...

Shaddy Dedmore
08-01-2005, 1:31 PM
Looks great, nice job. What material did you end up using? Alder @ 1/8"? or 3/32"? I'm thinking about getting some Strips of wood from Colorado Heirloom and was wondering about the durability (strength to resist breaking) of the 1/16" and 3/32" stock.

What is the overall size also?

Once again, looks great.
Shaddy

Gary Shoemake
08-01-2005, 1:59 PM
Barbara

This is a really nice product, would you share your specs. for them, size thickness and laser settings?

Barbara Buhse
08-01-2005, 5:50 PM
Barbara

This is a really nice product, would you share your specs. for them, size thickness and laser settings?

these tags are 2 7/8" by 3 7/8 " (shorting them by 1/8 " leaves me room to cut them out of the alder with the rounded edges, and enables me to turn them over in place)
they are 1/16" thick alder and the raster settings were 40% speed 100% power...
the vector cut settings were 20 sp, 100pwr / 500 frq

and that little hole, which is just the right size for a leather shoelace, is 1/2" x 1/4"
Luckily, the photo was given to me already in three color form, which of course made it alot easier!

The alder is strong enough for these tags, but the grain goes horizontally across this piece, and if someone were to bend it with a little force it will break. This is the biggest dimension that I would use... (my business cards are made of the thinner, 3/32 wood, and they DON"T break, but of course they're smaller).

Laura Zaruba
08-02-2005, 10:18 PM
VERY nice Barbara!