PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 103.0103 Band Saw

Jason LaBossiere
12-10-2014, 5:49 PM
My wife actually found a band saw on the way home the other day sitting out on the side of the road in front of someones house. She sent me a photo and asked if I was interested since she knows I like to restore old tools for the shop instead of buying new plastic ones. It was a Craftsman 103.0103 Band Saw so I told her to throw it in the car. Couldn't believe that she actually noticed it and really put it in the car. Although she did complain about how heavy it was.
I would like to restore but I am missing some parts. The entire upper guide assembly is missing including the locking knob and slide bar. It also needs the blade tension knob that goes on the end of the tension rod and the upper wheel adjustment knob. Everything else seem to be in good shape the bearing spin quite and smooth and it is very clean. The tires look good too. I just cant figure out what happened to the parts, I mean who looses all the knobs. If someone used this saw as a doner then the other saw must be pretty sweet.
I would like to bring it back to life but I'm now wondering if it will be to difficult to find the parts that I need. The parts that are there are in too nice of condition to throw away. Does anyone know of another Craftsman or Dunlap model that would have parts that would work or do I have to find the exact parts? What about after market parts? Does anyone have a dead one that they are willing to part out?

Rick Potter
12-10-2014, 8:57 PM
Bet you can find knobs that will fit at McMaster Carr. I would get a complete set so they all match. As far as the upper guide, is it possible to get a set of Carter guides and fit them to whatever rod fits the casting?

Mike Wilkins
12-11-2014, 8:15 AM
You lucky bum. I am in the middle of restoring exactly the same saw. Wire wheel in the grinder to clean up the rust; smaller wire wheels in a drill to get to the small cracks and crevices. Hand tools (steel wool, fine sandpaper, files) for other rust removal chores. As for parts; good luck. These machines were made in the late 40's or early 50's, so parts availability will be zero. A lot of the smaller screws for attaching the covers are 1/4-20. Not sure on the others.
Go to owwm.com to visit the old tools site if you have not done so already. There you can find some photos and even a parts diagram of this machine which may help in possibly fabricating a new guide post.
Good luck and watch those fingers.