PDA

View Full Version : Winter Solstice Step Stool

ken hatch
12-10-2014, 10:40 AM
It's that time of year, good cheer to all men and all that rot. This year's Winter Solstices gifts for the boy and girl child will be a couple of Red Oak Step Stools. I've used this form for a number of stools, it's quick and easy plus bullet proof, not a bad combination. I found a QS 4/4 Red Oak board that was just enough for four legs and two tops but not enough for the stretchers. While looking through the wood pile for stretcher stock I found a couple of Red Oak leg sets from an aborted coffee table build that had stretchers. I couldn't be so lucky, I expected them to be too short but hoped they would be long enough to get the two needed stool stretchers. When I approached the stools with the coffee table stretchers my first impression was the stretchers were too short but no the sky turned blue with rainbows and the birds begin to sing. Not only were they long enough, they were a perfect fit with good shoulders and tenons already finished. As I have often said; "It is better to be lucky than good". Any way the first stool is finished, I'm waiting for the glue pot to come to temperature to glue up the second.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/stepStoolA_zpsd42d3127.jpg

Jim Belair
12-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Ya gotta love rainbows and bird songs.

Sturdy, functional stools that look great too.

Harold Burrell
12-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Wow! Cool stool!

Hey...do you guys celebrate Summer Solstice too? Do you give gifts? Cause if you do, I'm moving to your house...and you can adopt me. :D

Jim Koepke
12-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Nice looking stools.

How tall are they?

jtk

Brian Holcombe
12-10-2014, 1:40 PM
Nice work ken!

Gordon Eyre
12-10-2014, 1:49 PM
Neat stools you have there. I made stools for several of my grandkids and one thing they all like is the "handle" I put in the top with a Forstner bit and a scroll saw. This allow them to pick up the stool easily. This picture will show what I am talking about.

Daniel Rode
12-10-2014, 1:51 PM
That looks really nice.

I recently made a similar step stool for my daughter out of pine. They are fun to make. They don't require much time or material and have all sorts of design options.

ken hatch
12-10-2014, 9:28 PM
Wow! Cool stool!

Hey...do you guys celebrate Summer Solstice too? Do you give gifts? Cause if you do, I'm moving to your house...and you can adopt me. :D

I quit riding motorcycles last year, when I rode I always tried to do a RTE (Ride To Eat) on the Summer Solstice, some years to Texas for BBQ or Lafayette, LA for Gumbo, even Jackson Hole for a Billy's Hamburger, but always someplace far off and mostly through the desert. Ain't nothing like a mid-day ride through the desert to celebrate the start of Summer.

Not a clue what I will do this year. Come on down if you don't mind sleeping with two big, hairy, and smelly dogs :-).

ken

ken hatch
12-10-2014, 9:31 PM
Nice looking stools.

How tall are they?

jtk

Thanks Jim,

They are 300mm tall (just under 12" for folks still stuck in the foot and stone world).

ken

ken hatch
12-10-2014, 9:41 PM
Thanks guys, I've been working mostly on the house, that and work have kept me pretty busy. It was nice to do an easy, quick and dirty project. I did a couple of small, simple boxes a week or two ago for much the same reason, just to take a break from the house projects.

Jim Koepke
12-11-2014, 3:34 AM
12" for folks still stuck in the foot and stone world

The foot works, not sure about stone weights.

There are far too many measuring devices of inch magnitude in my shop to be supplanted by the very few metric rules floating around.

Besides my error rate seems to be lower with a story stick than a ruler.

jtk