PDA

View Full Version : socket firmer chisel handle wood

Roger Rettenmeier
12-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I am in Arkansas for a few more days, before returning to Montana . Lacking good hardwoods in Mt., I was wondering what local hardwoods would be recommended for chisel handles. For now, hickory is an obvious choice. I am working on the Ouchita Forest, and staying at Petit Jean.

Jim Koepke
12-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I am not sure what hardwoods are available from the area.

Hornbeam, maple and ash are good woods for chisel handles.

For my chisels different woods are used for chisels that are only for paring as opposed to those that will feel a mallet.

Maybe someone more familiar with the woods commonly available in the area will chime in.

jtk

David Weaver
12-09-2014, 1:02 PM
A socket firmer should have a ring or leather at the top of the handle. Any decent hardwood should be fine. Beech or hornbeam would be my choice.

Jeff Heath
12-09-2014, 3:00 PM
With all the ash losing the good fight to the emerald ash borer beetle, I am milling up a bunch for all sorts of stuff, including workbench stock (future) for myself and others, tool handles, and workshop paneling. Around here in the upper midwest, it's everywhere, and the tree services are taking down trees by the thousands. Once I put it in the kiln at 130°, the bugs are all dead.

Other than that, just about any hardwood works quite well, although the harder the better. Osage, locust, hornbeam, ironwood, and the list goes on and on and on......Schedule 40 pipe makes a pretty good hoop, and you can cut it easily enough with a grinder and cutting wheel, or a hacksaw.

Roger Rettenmeier
12-11-2014, 6:35 PM
Thanks for the input, I was wanting to take advantage of this Arkansas trip and get some decent hardwood.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2014, 1:15 PM
Hickory, how could I forget hickory. One of my favorite chisel's handle is made of hickory.

jtk