PDA

View Full Version : yet another question about lighting up acrylic

Walt Langhans
12-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Hey guys!

Has anyone rastered acrylic, then engraved in the rastered area, and then lighted it with LED's? Can you see the engraving in the rastered area?

Bert Kemp
12-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Do you mean raster out a large blank area the raster something else in that area?

Walt Langhans
12-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Do you mean raster out a large blank area the raster something else in that area?

No, raster an area, and then cut (but not all the way thought) detail into. Yeah... that first statement was about a clear as mud, lol!

Bert Kemp
12-09-2014, 12:02 PM
I've never done it but if you vector cut part way the inside the raster area it would probably show up as white lines. Dunno LOL might have to try a scrap piece and see how it looks. may be vector cut first color fill it then raster

Michele Welch
12-10-2014, 11:44 PM
I use this method all the time when making our LED edge lit signs. I vector cut first (masked acrylic) and then very carefully, with a weeding tool, remove all the masking pieces where I will then raster fill. This save the rastered area from being a gooey nasty mess from rastering through the mask. I sometimes redo the vector outline after the rastering if I thinkit might need it.

Hope this helps!

Mike Null
12-11-2014, 7:33 AM
Here is a raster engraved sign on clear 1/2" acrylic. (the Grey Goose) customer's picture

Walt Langhans
12-11-2014, 7:25 PM
Yeah... that's the other thing I could use some advice on. What works better clear acrylic and colored LED's, or Colored Acrylic and white LED's. Opinions / thoughts?

Dan Hintz
12-12-2014, 6:30 AM
Yeah... that's the other thing I could use some advice on. What works better clear acrylic and colored LED's, or Colored Acrylic and white LED's. Opinions / thoughts?

Depends. Clear acrylic w/colored LEDs will light up just the engraved design with the LED color. The colored acrylic will highlight the engraved design, but the background is still the acrylic color.