PDA

View Full Version : Looky here.... Looky here.....

Bob Noles
07-18-2005, 4:29 PM
Look what my sweet UPS lady brought me today :D

I want to thank everyone who responded to my thread "Help me decide on a dovetail jig". Your thoughts and input were so valuable to me. I think I will be most happy with this little jewel for my needs.

Now to go make some dovetails :eek:

Bill Arnold
07-18-2005, 5:10 PM
Bob,

Congratulations on what looks like a fine tool!

Regards,

Jason Tuinstra
07-18-2005, 5:32 PM
Have fun Bob!

Norman Hitt
07-18-2005, 5:47 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm...............Except for Color, it looks just like the one my Buddy brought over here that came from HF, and surprisingly, it was made from very heavy "Stuff". Be Glad you got the PC instead of a knockoff like this, because I'll bet you don't have to spend way over 2 hours on carefully filing and dressing all the sharp & rough edges off ALL the edges of the Template Slots on yours, like I did on his. They were so rough & ragged, some places would have caused one to have to Force the guide bushing into the slot, and the sharpness and raggedness of those edges would have chewed up a guide bushing with only one use. :mad: Although the template is 1/4" thick, the slots had to have either been stamped out, or cut with a water or sand blast cutter by someone that sure didn't know how to get a smooth cut with it.

I also had to remove two bolts that held the "side stops" in place and countersink the holes and install beveled head machine screws in their place because the original bolt heads stood up too high and would not allow the template to fit down flush on the 1/2" workpieces. I hope your instructions are a tad better too. :D

Let us know how it works, when you get it up and running. I'll bet it does a good job for you. I would particularly be interested in knowing how much trouble it is to set up, when you change to a different thickness of wood, say changing from using 1/2" thick drawer sides to drawer sides that are 5/8" or 3/4"thick. The HF one looks like it will take as much time to reset everything, as it did to make the initial setup.

Have fun & keep us posted. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2005, 5:47 PM
Enjoy Bob! One word of caution....when you put the dovetail bit in your router and install the guide bushing on your router base.....BESURE to loosen your router base and move the collet until it strikes the bushing and thereby centers the bushing/mounting plate to the collet. Then tighten the router base plate. I spent several hours trying to figure out why my dovetails were varying! Again.....Ehjoy!

Corey Hallagan
07-18-2005, 8:10 PM
Hey Bob, sweet! Glad you got what you wanted. I expect there will be dovetails coming out of your shop all over the place soon :) Have fun and keep the fingers out of the way, don't want a dove tailed pinky :)

Corey

Bob Noles
07-18-2005, 8:12 PM
Thanks guys.....

I think this one is a little better built and engineered that the HF Norman described. It appears to be a nice machine. Unfortunately I did not make it to the shop as my son dropped by for a visit errr I mean dinner ;)

Anyhow, I will probably fall asleep with the instruction manual in my arms tonight and hopefully take the DTJ for a test drive tomorrow.

And Ken.... thanks so much for the tip on properly setting the bit in the router itself. Got a feeling you just saved me some real grief. I owe you one for sure :cool:

John Miliunas
07-18-2005, 8:24 PM
Hey Bob, looks to me like you have TWO dovetail "machines" in that picture! The PC up front is cool, but there's also another one in the sheath behind it! Between the two, we'll be seeing a whole TON of DT's, won't we?:D Looking forward to your in-use evaluation on it. Congrats!:) :cool:

Ron Jones near Indy
07-18-2005, 9:13 PM
Looks real nice Bob. After you have "played" with it for a while let us know what you think of it.