PDA

View Full Version : Did I fix my planer?

Wade Lippman
12-08-2014, 11:13 PM
My 15" Grizzly is about a year old, but hasn't seen much use. A month ago I noticed some oil on the ground next to it. I asked here what was going on. People said it was probably either a bad gasket or a loose plug. Fortunately someone asked if I had changed the oil, and I hadn't. So I changed the oil.

In the last couple weeks it continued to leak. Not much maybe a teaspoon. I am pretty sure it isn't the plug because I wrapped a bunch of teflon tap around the plug and got it in tight; and the drip seems to be on the other side.

There is a bolt near the bottom keeping the the gearcase cover on. I was able to tighten it a half turn without too much effort. I don't think it has leaked in the last two weeks. Is it fixed? There is another bolt near the top that I can't really access without taking the gear cover off. If it isn't leaking, can I let that go until the next oil change.

A picture of it is below. You can see an oil drip that hasn't gotten big enough to fall on the lower left corner. The bolt I tightened is the only one in the picture.
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg478/Toller/planer_zps3eb25ef1.jpg

Justin Ludwig
12-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I have the same planer. I wouldn't worry about it and I use mine a lot. If you're really concerned, contact Grizzly's CS - they pretty good at answer questions. You may still be in the warranty window.

Matt Day
12-09-2014, 6:54 AM
that bolt is one of the bolts that compress the gasket so that very well might have been the problem.

glenn bradley
12-09-2014, 8:32 AM
Mine still leaks; about a drop per month. I assume the quality of the gasket material could be improved but, this is not enough of an issue that I am going to disassemble to replace. Since I am aware of it I take notice and see this behavior on other colors of this machine as well; design flaw? . . . doesn't seem likely. It does make me keep an eye on it which I would rather not have to waste gray-matter on. Seems like adequate gasket technology should be within our grasp ;-)

Brian Kincaid
12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Mine leaks as well, maybe a drop a month or so. I am going to check the bolt you pointed out. I always figured I would replace the gasket at some point, maybe even stone the fittings a bit for a better fit.

-Brian

Thomas Hotchkin
12-09-2014, 1:04 PM
Wade
If you are going to let it drip, find a way to keep checking the gear box oil level. It needs to be close to full, for longest life of your machine.

scott vroom
12-09-2014, 1:17 PM
My 15" Grizzly was leaking to the point where it ran down the side of the base onto the floor. I removed the gearbox....looked around...put it back together using the original gasket, tightened the bolts and the leaking stopped....been over a year now. I did order a couple of replacement gaskets from Grizzly but until it leaks again I'll leave it alone.