PDA

View Full Version : Holiday spending 2014

Phil Thien
12-08-2014, 7:55 PM
What are your spending plans this holiday 2014 season? This is overall spending, including gifts for others as well as yourself, entertaining, charitable giving, etc. This is an anonymous poll.

Brian Elfert
12-08-2014, 11:05 PM
If you include stuff for myself then my spending went up a lot this year. My spending for others remains basically zero. My parents and brothers and I made the decision that no gifts will be exchanged some years ago. I don't buy for the nieces and nephews as they get so many gifts already. By the time grandparents and other aunts/uncles and so on buy gifts they have more toys than the parents want to store.

I did buy my parents a new TV a few weeks back, but that was not a holiday gift.

Myk Rian
12-09-2014, 9:07 AM
My wife does the shopping for 10 Gkids, 2 GGkids, and our kids & spouses. Something she enjoys. She sets a limit for each.
I go overboard on her at times. Don't really look for sales like she does, but rather hit a store, look around, and buy what I think she'll like.

George Bokros
12-09-2014, 9:22 AM
We are buying our son and D-I-L a new stove this year. They really need one.

Rod Sheridan
12-09-2014, 7:37 PM
Hi Phil, I voted about the same as last year.

I don't accept Christmas presents any longer, my family buys Christmas dinner for 100 homeless people in lieu of presents for me.

Rod.

Shawn Pixley
12-09-2014, 10:00 PM
I don't need anything that could be purchased as a gift. I ask that anyone who wishes is free to contribute to my charities of choice (Nothing but Nets, Habitat for Humanity, NPR, Medicine sans Frontiers,, Wikipedia, Be The Match, and food banks / homeless shelters). SWMBO has a similar list.

We have limited giving within our family. We also give holiday gifts to our neighbors (generally home made).