PDA

View Full Version : Dust/chip collector

Jerry Crawford
07-18-2005, 2:20 PM
The last off-shore dust collector I had was miserable. It was a double bag, rolling around thing (one bag up and one down) and the motor and blower pedistle was all the time coming loose wobbling and losing screws. It leaked and every time I wanted to empty the lower bag I got dust and dirt all over me and the shop. I had to wrestle the thing outside for the emptying job or I got more dust on the floor and tools. Yeuch!

I'm now looking for another unit. Preferably mobile or at least stationary with enough flow to reach out to tools around my shop and something that doesn't require a MAJOR shop clean up after emptying.

Suggestions gentlemen?

Mike Weaver
07-18-2005, 2:35 PM
You owe it to yourself to check out Bill Pentz's site about DC:
http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

I'm building/assembling a Pentz cyclone now.

Barring that, the Dust Gorilla is highly regarded around here:
http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/gorilla/main.htm

Cheers,
-Mike

Jim DeLaney
07-18-2005, 5:19 PM
The last off-shore dust collector I had was miserable. It was a double bag, rolling around thing (one bag up and one down) and the motor and blower pedistle was all the time coming loose wobbling and losing screws. It leaked and every time I wanted to empty the lower bag I got dust and dirt all over me and the shop. I had to wrestle the thing outside for the emptying job or I got more dust on the floor and tools. Yeuch!

I'm now looking for another unit. Preferably mobile or at least stationary with enough flow to reach out to tools around my shop and something that doesn't require a MAJOR shop clean up after emptying.

Suggestions gentlemen?

Just last week, I upgraded from my 12 YO Penn State 1 hp (DC1B) DC to a 2 hp, 220V~ with a 1 micron cartridge filter. Man, does it ever suck! The specs say it pulls just about twice the air that the old one did. Actually, it feels like a lot more than that. Penn State had it on sale for about $50 off, so it was only $350, plus shipping.

It has the cartridge on top, and a clear plastic, disposable, lower bag. Should make emptying it much easier!

As for the motor/pedestal - there is no pedestal. The motor mounts low - directly to the base plate.

So far, I really like it.

Jerry Crawford
07-18-2005, 6:43 PM
Found the link Thanks The cyclone look doable