PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Jig 3 - anyone?

Chris Padilla
07-18-2005, 1:24 PM
http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=10

I will most likely pick this up when available.

I think Kreg2 will be going cheap now...I may unload mine but it sure has been a workhorse for me going on 5 years now!

Comments/thoughts?

Chris

Steve Clardy
07-18-2005, 2:00 PM
Looks good brother. But I have a PC cutter, so----

frank shic
07-18-2005, 2:09 PM
it's tempting, chris! lots of new features like the dust collection, the plunger on the front and a COOL new look, but after drilling a bunch of pocket holes yesterday for the 11 face frames of my future kitchen cabinets, i realized that the new kreg jig is still at heart a MANUAL jig. i really don't want the shop vac running all the time and i think the rear plunger design is adequate.

if i ever get into professional cabinetry, i'd go for the panel boring machine that they sell. i'll hold on to my humble k2000 for now! :p

Michael Ballent
07-18-2005, 2:10 PM
I was getting ready to buy the K2 about a month ago, then went to the Kreg site to get some more info on the jig and they announced the K3.... Been waiting ever since. I especially like the chip collection and the indents for different thickness woods. I suppose they are on time to release it later in the month... at least I hope so.

Michael Perata
07-18-2005, 4:53 PM
Comments/thoughts?

Chris
Probably going to wait awhile. I was at CB Tool and they have no idea when they will be available.

Could it be they want to build to demand - hmmm?

Jay Knepper
07-18-2005, 6:24 PM
All of the new features look to be useful, but not enough for me to upgrade my jig.

Corey Hallagan
07-18-2005, 8:06 PM
No, I don't think so, I have had the Kreg 200 Pro Pak for 6 months or less. I don't see that much worth updating for. I don't have a problem with the back clamping mechanism. I know it looks cool, but I really wonder how many people will hook up the DC or shop vac to it. I will have to live with this one for a few years :)

Corey

Craig Colvin
07-18-2005, 8:13 PM
My kreg rep saw one last week and was very excited about it. But then again he is a rep. :)

I have some on order and should have them in a couple of weeks, I'll check it out and report back.

David Tucker
07-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I got to play with one last week, when my Kreg rep brought in a prototype (prototype only in that theyre working on the case). This is really an improvement. The vacuum attachment really worked well, and had a good feel when drilling. The drill guide block is really easy to move from benchtop base to use with the portable base. The front side clamp made it easy to clamp the work piece. Only thing I didn't like was that he had to take it with him when he left. He said they should be out next month, with the upgrade kit for the k2000pp to follow about a month or so later.

John Strait
07-19-2005, 11:56 AM
He said they should be out next month, with the upgrade kit for the k2000pp to follow about a month or so later.

I called KREG and they indicated the K2000 will not be upgradeable. The lady I talked to indicated the basic K3 will be upgradeable but not the K2000.

John

Michael Ballent
07-19-2005, 1:40 PM
I called KREG and they indicated the K2000 will not be upgradeable. The lady I talked to indicated the basic K3 will be upgradeable but not the K2000.

John

Did they indicate when the K3 would be available?

John Strait
07-19-2005, 1:45 PM
Sorry, I did not ask when the K3 would be available.

john

Michael Ballent
07-19-2005, 1:48 PM
Bummer, since I do not own a pocket hole jig, I am thinking that I should wait for it. If someone already owns the K2000 then I am not sure that it would make sense to upgrade.

russ bransford
07-19-2005, 3:47 PM
Michael,

You should see the K3 on the shelves in about 2-3 weeks.

Joe Mioux
07-19-2005, 9:48 PM
I like my Kreg Pro pack, (or whatever its called). The dust collection on the new version is "nice" but I don't think that it is a huge improvement in what I have now. When I am cutting pocket holes, I keep the shop vac nearby, clean up ever so often and continue cutting pocket holes.

The purpose of the jig is to cut pocket holes. My jig does that, the next generation jig does that and one after that will do that. The only time I could conceive of upgrading would be if the brass in the drill guides would get damaged or bored out to much from the drill bit.

Joe

Norman Hitt
07-20-2005, 3:03 AM
I finally "Gave In", broke down and bought the K2000 a few months back when Rockler had them on sale. I won't upgrade, at least for a long time, but I can see that the extra wood thickness capability and indexing feature would be nice, but I think the dust collection could be the most important thing, if it actually helps clear the chips faster, because this would keep the bit much cooler if you are doing a lot of pocket holes in one session. My slow chip removal may be partially caused by my drill which turns at a slower rpm than that recommended by Kreg.

This leads up to my question. The directions say it is best to use a drill that runs at a minimum of 2500 rpm to get the best life from the bit before sharpening is required. I haven't really concentrated on this yet, BUT of the corded drills I have looked at, I haven't found one that turns at that high of an rpm. What are you folks using, and have any of you found a 2500 RPM drill? If so, what brand and model?

Thanks in advance for this info.

Chris Padilla
07-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Norman, I just use my cordless Festool drills and I keep a spare bit snapped into the case.

I like the easier stock thickness adjuster and the clamping mechanism that is in front and that self-adjusts to the other dimension of the stock and the dust collection sure would be nice as well.

I think I'll be upgrading and giving someone a good deal on my K2000.... :)

Steven Herbin
07-20-2005, 2:32 PM
I got a 2500 RPM Hitachi corded drill at the Blue for about $50. It's used for Pocket Holes and Conformat drilling.

oak barrett
07-20-2005, 4:39 PM
looks like you get an improved jig, but it doesn't come with the smaller mini and rocket jigs..

just food for thought when looking at a price tag that only appears to be $10 more

Chris Padilla
07-20-2005, 4:42 PM
Oak,

First, welcome to the Creek!

Second, very interesting name you have there...appropriate if I might add! :)

Third, the improved jig also comes apart to use like the mini and rocket jigs although I think it is bigger than either...poke around the site a bit...you'll see.

Corey Hallagan
07-20-2005, 5:53 PM
Norman, I use a ridgid 1/2 corded VS drill. Not sure what it is rated. Just use the highest one you can get and it will be fine. I bought a couple of the demo videos from Kreg. In all of them, the instructor is using exclusively dewalt cordless drills that are not rated for 2500 rpm. I think that the only problem would be in extremely hard and seasoned wood like rock maple etc. you might get a little bit of heat generated if doing a lot of pockets. With the new jig and dc, this might run a tad cooler. I wouldn't worry, if you have a 14.4 volt and higher cordless or a corded drill, I would use it.

Corey

oak barrett
07-20-2005, 6:31 PM
Oak,

First, welcome to the Creek!

Second, very interesting name you have there...appropriate if I might add! :)

thanks for the welcome chris... stumbled upon this place a week or two ago, and been doing plenty of reading...

and yeah, its the real name... named after my grandfather oakley, so it is pretty fitting around the saw mill

Dave Lehnert
07-20-2005, 11:50 PM
For people wanting a jig but don’t have the $$ for a Kreg jig. Take a look at the Penn State unit. I have it and like it a lot. I think it is better than the Kreg. I looked at the Kreg at Woodcraft but I did not like all the parts to it. Would get misplaced in my shop. I know the Kreg is good but did not like the plastic it was made out of for $125. The Penn State jig I got on sale for around $50. Made of metal and the drill guide is adjustable for different thickness of wood. It just slides up and own and “teeth” engage to keep it from slipping.

Charles McKinley
07-21-2005, 12:25 AM
I posted my solution for dust collection on the K2000 some tome ago. I'll look for the link.

Christopher Pine
07-21-2005, 12:30 AM
One thing I don't like about the new jig is that it comes with the one set of bushings if you will... my k2000 pro pak or whatever it is called has the smaller one and the base unit and then even a mini one with one hole... All three are for there purpose.. seems to me using the same bushings for all applications will wear them out faster?? The other features I did like.. the dust collection and the front lever... I doubt I will upgrade for many years to come as my jig works just fine.

Chris

Ron Teti
07-21-2005, 12:30 AM
I got the old aluminum Kreg jig and it does everything I need. No reason to upgrade

Norman Hitt
07-21-2005, 5:13 AM
I got a 2500 RPM Hitachi corded drill at the Blue for about $50. It's used for Pocket Holes and Conformat drilling.

Thanks for the info Steven, I'll check it out at the Blue box here.

And to Corey, you're right that they will work at about any speed, but I've tried it on 3 of my corded drills, and my 14.4 DW cordless, but none of them turn fast enough to give very good chip removal. :( I mostly have to run the bit in and out two or three times with it turning to get the chips to release from the bit and clear the guide, seemingly no mater what kind of wood I'm drilling. It works, but is kind of a PITA. I'll probably end up making some kind of a chip collector that I can hook the shop vac to to see if that helps, (and to keep it from making such a mess all over the floor as well).

Scott Loven
07-21-2005, 9:33 AM
FYI, just saw this in WWJ
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm

Jeff A. Smith
07-21-2005, 9:50 AM
I like my Kreg Pro pack, (or whatever its called). The dust collection on the new version is "nice" but I don't think that it is a huge improvement in what I have now. When I am cutting pocket holes, I keep the shop vac nearby, clean up ever so often and continue cutting pocket holes.

The purpose of the jig is to cut pocket holes. My jig does that, the next generation jig does that and one after that will do that. The only time I could conceive of upgrading would be if the brass in the drill guides would get damaged or bored out to much from the drill bit.

Joe

And if that happens -- it's covered by the lifetime warranty on those sleeves, so the factory will fix it for you. I still use my old first generation metal Kreg jig. I don't know if it's called a K1 or a K-anything.

Jeff Smith
Athens AL

Charles McKinley
07-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Here is the link to the dust collector set up on my Kreg:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16160&highlight=Kreg

I use the old B&D industrial drill in the photo and do not pull the bit out to clear chips. I have also used my 18v DeWalt on the 2000 rpm setting.

Jerry Golick
07-21-2005, 4:15 PM
FWIW - I posted a report on the Penn State jig last week

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22213&highlight=Penn+State

It offers quite a bit of the same functionality as the K3, at about 1/2 the price. I have been very pleased with it so far.