PDA

View Full Version : Something Different

Ed Scolforo
07-18-2005, 1:08 PM
for me, at least. A friend rescued a couple apple burls that the town was trimming. This piece was delaminating from the core (if that makes sense) and I wanted to see how a more natural form would take shape. This piece has a little of everything going on: burl eyes, sapwood, natural edge, spalt and various shades in between. It's 6" in diameter and 2 1/2" high. Finish is Formby TO with high gloss finish. I knocked the gloss down a bit with steel wool. Comments welcome.

Keith Burns
07-18-2005, 1:30 PM
I assume when you mounted your blank you had no idea of what you shape you would end up with (and then again you might have). You did a wonderful job of making the shape match the wood with that upward spiral look. I think it is a great piece and one to be proud of !

"I'm tired of being arm candy for my wife"

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2005, 1:33 PM
Unique form, beautiful color and finish!

Tony Sizemore
07-18-2005, 5:36 PM
It is very beautiful. I am a big fan of natural shapes. Very nice job, you should be very happy with it.

Karl Laustrup
07-18-2005, 7:16 PM
Very nice Ed. That is a beautful piece of wood. And I do like the shape.

Karl

John Hart
07-18-2005, 7:52 PM
Ed,

First off, I'd like to say that the piece is downright beautiful...But, more than that, I think you have acheived a sense of motion in the piece. I would give it an honored place.

Gary Max
07-18-2005, 8:00 PM
Looks great and No one else has one like it----Good job

Jerry Clark
07-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Wow Ed That one has it all-:eek: - form, color and flowing lines-- great piece!:)

Ed Scolforo
07-19-2005, 8:34 PM
Thank you for your kind comments. Keith, I had a vague idea as to how the form would develop, but mostly it was luck and a gift from Mother Nature as the colors and patterns were uncovered. I must say I really think I could enjoy doing more natural forms.
Ed

Mark Singer
07-19-2005, 9:35 PM
Beautful! Really a wonderful piece!