PDA

View Full Version : File won't cut ????

Bert Kemp
12-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Can anyone tell me why this file won't cut at power. its like there's only 15% power.
I'm running at 12% speed 65% pwr and this is what all my 3mm ply jobs cut at. I downloaded this puzzle from the box designer site. Change all lines to hairlines and color black would not cut ,so changed color to red still won't cut any ideas what I'm doing wrong.301730

Keith Colson
12-06-2014, 11:59 PM
The file looks fine, I had that and it turns out I had set my printer preferences for raster instead of vector for the colour in question. You could check that.

Cheers
Keith

Bert Kemp
12-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Lasercut is set to CUT

The file looks fine, I had that and it turns out I had set my printer preferences for raster instead of vector for the colour in question. You could check that.

Cheers
Keith

Jerome Stanek
12-07-2014, 7:10 AM
Are you sending the job from corel or or you converting it to a dxf and cutting through Lasercut

Dave Sheldrake
12-07-2014, 8:27 AM
sent by email bert

Mike Lysov
12-08-2014, 2:45 AM
If you save your file in earlier version of CD(X4 for example) more people can look at it and may be able to help.

John Frazee
12-08-2014, 10:40 AM
I have had the same thing happen with different files. I don't remember exactly what fixed it. (My memory is getting very bad) Try ungrouping and saving again or trace the file and save again to laser. It's something very simple but hiding from you!

Bill George
12-08-2014, 11:05 AM
I just downloaded and took into Corel X6, did a Save As .dxf and I always use R14 as the version, Import into LaserCut 3.3 Set that Layer to Cut and made the Center the Start point and at least in the Simulate it acted like a Cut file and treated as Vector cut just fine. If it works in simulate it will work on the Laser.

Bert Kemp
12-08-2014, 8:20 PM
Its x5 but I'll try to remember to do earlier then that even

If you save your file in earlier version of CD(X4 for example) more people can look at it and may be able to help.

Bert Kemp
12-08-2014, 8:25 PM
Bill it does act as a cut file the laser starts and fire its just theres very little power , it like i told it to cut at 15 PWR INSTEAD OF 65 PWR. if you have the time and a scap piece of wood 3mm see if it will actually cut it.

I just downloaded and took into Corel X6, did a Save As .dxf and I always use R14 as the version, Import into LaserCut 3.3 Set that Layer to Cut and made the Center the Start point and at least in the Simulate it acted like a Cut file and treated as Vector cut just fine. If it works in simulate it will work on the Laser.

Bill George
12-08-2014, 9:21 PM
Does your software have settings for less power for curves? Since it looks like must of it is curves. My software is not Lasercut 5.3 but very close. I might have time to try it tomorrow.

Bert Kemp
12-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Yes Lasercut 5.3 has curve power settings, but I usually set that to the same as my pwr setting.

Does your software have settings for less power for curves? Since it looks like must of it is curves. My software is not Lasercut 5.3 but very close. I might have time to try it tomorrow.

Kev Williams
12-09-2014, 12:00 AM
I usually set my lower power to about 50% of the high power, and get pretty good results.

I ran into a similar issue not long after I got my Triumph. The problem was the power 1 / power 2 thing, and the OTHER power thing where you can have the parameters power set to "auto" or "manual", meaning the machine will run at either the power you set in the software, or the power that's set on the machine keypad. AND, another of my favorites, if (for example) the software is set for power 1 and the keypad is set for power 2 (which is just an accidental one-button push), you'll maybe get 'keypad' power instead of software power...

Hope that makes sense, and I hope that's all your problem is!

Bert Kemp
12-09-2014, 9:56 AM
I don't quite understand what you saying Kev. I don't think my rabbit sets up like your triumph , I can't set the software and key pad, I set it all in lasercut before I send it to laser, but anyway I set all my jobs up the same way and they run and cut fine for the most part except this one.

I usually set my lower power to about 50% of the high power, and get pretty good results.

I ran into a similar issue not long after I got my Triumph. The problem was the power 1 / power 2 thing, and the OTHER power thing where you can have the parameters power set to "auto" or "manual", meaning the machine will run at either the power you set in the software, or the power that's set on the machine keypad. AND, another of my favorites, if (for example) the software is set for power 1 and the keypad is set for power 2 (which is just an accidental one-button push), you'll maybe get 'keypad' power instead of software power...

Hope that makes sense, and I hope that's all your problem is!

Mike Audleman
12-09-2014, 1:45 PM
I think my Chinese ebay laser is like Kev's. I can set the power via the RDWorls software OR I can tick a "Default" box on power and/or speed and I can adjust the power and/or speed on the laser machine's keypad.

Most of the time I set it as default either for power or speed (or both frequently) so I can adjust the settings on the machine depending on what material I put in it. That way I can have a cut file that I can run on glass, cardboard, 3mm ply or acrylic without having to re-send the cut file.

Anyway, as to your file...can't help much as I don't run the same software. But, it loads and cuts in RDWorks when exported from Corel X7 to DXF then into RDWorks. I exported it, imported it, deleted all but a small corner and ran it on some scrap 3mm ply. Cut like a charm. I would have to say its something in your software thats being set incorrectly.

Bill George
12-09-2014, 2:08 PM

Correction, I did an Export and as a dxf Release 14 file not a Save As.

Kev Williams
12-09-2014, 4:54 PM
Here's my setup-- below is my keypad, note the "power 1" and "power 2", they are selectable and changeable...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/pad1.JPG

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/pad2.JPG

I just keep my pad set to power 1. I keep the power setting low, as it's the power applied when I fire the laser manually, which I do a lot to locate positions.

Below are my parameter settings---

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/lzpwr.jpg

-note the "auto / manual" flyout, on my machine "auto" means my software controls the laser speed and power, "manual" means the laser apply the power set on the keypad. Also note below the flyout, the 'control panel power' is set to 'power 1'.

I'm not positive, I'd have to test to be sure, but I believe that if the keypad is set to power 2, then even if the software is set to "auto", and power 1, that the laser will run based on the keypad's power 2 settings. (and vice-versa) And as noted above, if the parameters are set for "manual", the laser will do only what's on the pad display...

I've never really understood the need for all these power variables, and maybe Rabbit made it easy and did away with a lot of it... :)

Dave Sheldrake
12-09-2014, 5:07 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Kev just made me remeber something!!

Bert, on the keypad there is a power setting? is it set to 100%?

The keypad on the leetro lasercut control sets the max power, lasercuts settings are a percentage of max..

If the keypad says 50% then lasercut even if run at 100% power will be 100% OF 50%

Set the keypad to 100% if it isn't currently that way

Mike Audleman
12-09-2014, 5:55 PM

The keypad on the leetro lasercut control sets the max power, lasercuts settings are a percentage of max..

If the keypad says 50% then lasercut even if run at 100% power will be 100% OF 50%

Thats cool! I wish mine was a percentage! That would be nice for multiple layered engraves where the layer settings have differing power. To get around this, I will set either the power or speed in the file then control the opposite parameter via the laser keypad.

Dave Sheldrake
12-09-2014, 6:26 PM
Generic Chinese 50w 300x500 (Ebay:171066211150)

That's a Shenui 350D Mike :)

1. That factory only produce as a lower price as they can, they won't care about the quality.All our item is pass the ISO9001 quality certification

hahahahahaha that always makes me laugh :) 9001 isn't a quality standard, it's procedures standard :) I have it and it's effectively meaningless :)

cheers

Dave

Bert Kemp
12-09-2014, 8:39 PM
yes the key pad says 100% Has anyone tried to cut the file I uploaded? I think its something in this file cause like I said all the other files run just fine at the same settings 10 speed 65 power.

Dave Sheldrake
12-09-2014, 9:03 PM
The one I sent back runs fine on my buddy :)

cheers

Dave

Mike Null
12-10-2014, 7:52 AM
Dave

We had the ISO standards in all our plants.
hahahahahaha that always makes me laugh 9001 isn't a quality standard, it's procedures standard I have it and it's effectively meaningless

You are so right. A huge waste of money and time. (we had a billion dollar customer who insisted we install it but a careless production worker or receiving clerk or a dozen others can render it all meaningless)

Oh yes, then the customer insisted on auditing the process in its entirety on a regular basis. (there is a name for this which I will not use here)

Bill George
12-10-2014, 3:51 PM
Bert I did a trial cut today, did not do the whole thing as I did not have enough 3mm ply but enough to find out it loads and cuts. I think it was 30 mm/sec at 70% power and I could have went higher on the power as it was not cut all the way so it fell apart, but enough to snap it in pieces. Remember I only have a 35 watt (40 peak) laser.

Bert Kemp
12-10-2014, 4:15 PM
Kev,
Ray told me to leave the control pad at all %100 settings and make any changes in lasercut.

Here's my setup-- below is my keypad, note the "power 1" and "power 2", they are selectable and changeable...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/pad1.JPG

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/pad2.JPG

I just keep my pad set to power 1. I keep the power setting low, as it's the power applied when I fire the laser manually, which I do a lot to locate positions.

Below are my parameter settings---

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/lzpwr.jpg

-note the "auto / manual" flyout, on my machine "auto" means my software controls the laser speed and power, "manual" means the laser apply the power set on the keypad. Also note below the flyout, the 'control panel power' is set to 'power 1'.

I'm not positive, I'd have to test to be sure, but I believe that if the keypad is set to power 2, then even if the software is set to "auto", and power 1, that the laser will run based on the keypad's power 2 settings. (and vice-versa) And as noted above, if the parameters are set for "manual", the laser will do only what's on the pad display...

I've never really understood the need for all these power variables, and maybe Rabbit made it easy and did away with a lot of it... :)

Mike Audleman
12-10-2014, 4:49 PM
yes the key pad says 100% Has anyone tried to cut the file I uploaded? I think its something in this file cause like I said all the other files run just fine at the same settings 10 speed 65 power.

Yes, as I said above, I did a test cut using your file. I cropped it just to a corner and cut some scrap. Worked fine.

That's a Shenui 350D Mike :)

Um does that mean its a good thing or a bad thing? Not sure of the rep a Shenui has nor even this model.

Yea, it does appear to be one. My tube and carriage assembly is black not gold as I find in images of the Shenui though. And nowhere does it say a brand. The rest looks identical though.

I found links here from a long time ago for newer RDWorks than what mine came with (v6). I downloaded V7 and V8. Neither of the new ones will recognize my laser (though I am accessing it via USB to ETHERNET adapters). Is there such a thing as a Chinese knockoff of a Chinese product? :confused:

Bert Kemp
12-10-2014, 6:02 PM
So now a few have tried the cut and say it works fine, so this is telling me its not the file but something with the machine EXCEPT all other files I run are working fine Go Figure, it like my mirror file that won't engrave yet all my other file I engrave work fine. I give up. Moving on , how bout that storm in the North east. Oh sorry wrong forum LOL

Yes, as I said above, I did a test cut using your file. I cropped it just to a corner and cut some scrap. Worked fine.

Um does that mean its a good thing or a bad thing? Not sure of the rep a Shenui has nor even this model.

Yea, it does appear to be one. My tube and carriage assembly is black not gold as I find in images of the Shenui though. And nowhere does it say a brand. The rest looks identical though.

I found links here from a long time ago for newer RDWorks than what mine came with (v6). I downloaded V7 and V8. Neither of the new ones will recognize my laser (though I am accessing it via USB to ETHERNET adapters). Is there such a thing as a Chinese knockoff of a Chinese product? :confused:

Bill George
12-10-2014, 7:46 PM
Bert, I've forgotten, does it say something and then not cut or stops cutting when its running at a certain point?

Never mind I went back and read your first post. I did nothing with that file you posted except Export to a dxf file. Did something get changed in that Cut layer in your software? Have you tried another vector cut right after to see if its maybe the machine? Remember I had a bunch of loose wire connections on my machine.

Jerome Stanek
12-11-2014, 7:58 AM
are you sure that the correct color is showing on one of my files it looks like black is the cut and it is like a purple instead and the speed and power are off

Dave Sheldrake
12-11-2014, 8:38 AM

Shens are pretty good and in the top 5% of Chinese machines, they are a manufacturer so will build machines for anybody buying enough of them, you can have them any colour to order usually :) If you scroll down on the Ebay add the link for a manual shows sh350d.pdf ;)

Not bad starter machines, a few minor bugs but on a $2,000 machine nothing that can't be rectified easily.

cheers

Dave

Kev Williams
12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I can't load your file Bert since I'm using corel x4-- I'd love to run it if you can save it as an x4 that my corel will open!

With apologies to Ray, a few reasons why I won't leave my keypad at 100%:

-- if I manually fire my laser at 100%, it'll pin the mA meter at well over 30, don't want that

-- I test fire my laser to figure out where it's firing since I don't have a red dot pointer, at 4% it fires plenty hard enough.

-- the 18% setting on power 2 will mark lines anything enough to see while slewing the gantry without cutting thru anything.

-- and finally, if for some reason my software changes over to 'manual', I'll know it because 4% won't engrave or cut squat! :)

Dave Sheldrake
12-11-2014, 12:45 PM
-- if I manually fire my laser at 100%, it'll pin the mA meter at well over 30, don't want that

I can see why Kev but be careful,it sounds like your PSU is adjusted high side of safe, the problem will be when the arc strikes it's not controlled by software so you will be running an over-current on your tube each time the tube fires. (the meter won't pick the strike up usually, they don't respond fast enough)

cheers

Dave

Kev Williams
12-11-2014, 2:12 PM
I only know what the meter WOULD go to based on vector cutting and testing. According to the test results written on my 80w tube (for what that's worth) it did 110w at their full power test. As it is, 72% power sent to the machine shows 27mA on the meter, so I almost never go above 70% power for anything. (I've rastered some wood at 80%, that's about as far as I go)

I inspected the tube and wiring a few weeks ago, all looks brand new still, nary a sign of a hot spot...

Clark Pace
12-11-2014, 2:19 PM
Does it do it with every file. What happens when just draw a box in the laser program, and cut it?

Bert Kemp
12-11-2014, 9:00 PM
Kev several people all ready said they cut it and it works for them so I'll assume it will work for you too ,it just doesn't work for me LOL Hey but if you want the file I'll upload it in 4 for you. I've already givin up trying to cut this particular file it just doesn't want to work for some reason. Let me know .

I can't load your file Bert since I'm using corel x4-- I'd love to run it if you can save it as an x4 that my corel will open!

With apologies to Ray, a few reasons why I won't leave my keypad at 100%:

-- I test fire my laser to figure out where it's firing since I don't have a red dot pointer, at 4% it fires plenty hard enough.

-- the 18% setting on power 2 will mark lines anything enough to see while slewing the gantry without cutting thru anything.

-- and finally, if for some reason my software changes over to 'manual', I'll know it because 4% won't engrave or cut squat! :)