PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on a vintage level

Michael Dedon
12-06-2014, 9:12 PM
I'm trying to help someone get some info on a vintage level he's had in the family. He hasn't been able to provide me photos and info is very limited.

It's wooden, I suspect beech or similar, with brass end caps, 30" x 3" x 1". If I understood him correctly, it has two spirit bubbles on top with sliding brass covers. The only markings are "Dubuqu? Ia" which I assume is Dubuque, Iowa. There is a fitted slide-in case that appears to be correct for the age of the level. He believes it be from around 1900.

I know very little about vintage levels and am asking if anyone can provide any info or point me to some relevant sources for tool makers of that era in that area I would appreciate it. He's not trying to sell, just curious. We were talking about a different topic when collectibles came up and I told him about my hand planes.

Mel Miller
12-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Not enough information for anybody to be able to help. Post some good pictures. I know a fair amount about old levels.

Michael Dedon
12-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Mel, Trying to get pictures. Was also hoping for any leads to begin my own research into tool makers in the Iowa area. He did find a label on the wood case which says "Cooper Wagons,Buggies,bobs". That sort of leads me to lean toward someone in the wagon building, cartage trade along the Mississippi River and possibly doing some tool making/blacksmithing.

If I can get more soon, I'll get back to you. Thanks.

Mel Miller
12-07-2014, 2:06 PM
The wood case is most likely owner made. The label on the case is likely from a wood crate, etc. the case was made from. All I have ever seen that came from the manufacturers are cardboard boxes.