PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here make Rumtopf?

Raymond Fries
12-06-2014, 2:20 PM
I want to buy a Rumtopf crock for a gift but know nothing about them. Can anyone tell me what to look for so I get the right kind?

Thanks

Jim Koepke
12-06-2014, 2:51 PM
Heck a large Mason jar always works fine for soaking peaches and pears in rum.

The bigger the better.:D

jtk

Bruce Page
12-06-2014, 4:21 PM
Heck a large Mason jar always works fine for soaking peaches and pears in rum.

The bigger the better.:D

jtk

.. but not very appealing as a gift.

Kent A Bathurst
12-06-2014, 4:51 PM
Unless, of course, it is full.

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2014, 5:01 PM
I can remember Rumtopf as a kid while living in Germany. The traditional crock was a lidded stoneware container. Just Google 'Rumtopf crock' and you'll find lots of photos of the German or Danish traditional stoneware crocks.

Marc Schmitz
12-06-2014, 8:03 PM
Mmmm, one year we filled a 3 gallon crock w/ 3 to 5 pounds of many kinds of berry as they came into season from spring to fall. Just add some sugar and rum and weight with a plate to keep them covered with rum as you add each new type over the course of the year. We served it over vanilla ice cream during the holidays. Great stuff.
P.S. Only use perfect berries, no bruises or blemishes.

Lee Schierer
12-06-2014, 8:36 PM

They make clamp lid mason jars that are fairly decorative that you could use.

Raymond Fries
12-06-2014, 8:51 PM
I did a Google search before I posted and found a few but was not sure what I was looking for. It appears that the important thing is a glass or ceramic container with a lid. Will have to look more before I find that gift that calls " Buy Me".

Thanks

Mike Cozad
12-07-2014, 7:43 AM
There is a site called sauerkrautpots.com overseas that ships worldwide and has a variety that you may get lucky with. My dad's family used big 3 gallon sauerkraut crocks for this kind of thing when I was a little kid many years back...