PDA

View Full Version : Full car warranty will expire - what systems should I check before...

Sam Murdoch
12-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Is there a list of system checks - things that an unscrupulous person (present company excluded of course :rolleyes:) should complain about to get the car dealer to fix before the full car warranty expires?

I am not mechanically inclined at all and so I ask - are there a few basics I should investigate aside from the obvious breaks and exhaust for example (that aren't covered anyway) - going on 60,000 miles on a Nissan truck.

Thanks for your thoughts.

David Weaver
12-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Hook the car up to a code reader and see if it's throwing any codes. It probably isn't throwing anything substantial if you're not getting a warning light.

If it is throwing anything, that gives you a pretty easy claim to the dealer that you'd like them to diagnose why. I know a lot of the auto parts places will hook up a code reader for free (so that you buy parts there), but I don't know if they'll do it for sport if the car isn't flashing a warning.

Myk Rian
12-06-2014, 12:11 PM
And don't clear the codes.
Other than that, if it ain't broke, they ain't gonna fix it.

James Tibbetts
12-06-2014, 12:13 PM
With only 60K on the clock I doubt there will be much out of whack. You might try the library for Consumer Reports reviews to look for recuring problems with that model. On line user groups for that truck, if you can find one, should be a good resource .