PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what plane this is? Scrub or scraper?

Hilton Ralphs
12-06-2014, 8:39 AM
Found it on a local auction site and wondered what it was. At first I thought it was a scrub plane and then perhaps a scraper plane of sorts but I just don't know.

The depth adjustments are similar to the old Stanley No 151 spokeshave.

The seller has called this a German No.3 and he may be correct of course.

TIA.

Steve Baumgartner
12-06-2014, 8:56 AM
Not a scraper - the blade isn't pitched forward. Also, the blade doesn't appear to have a substantial curve as is typical of a scrub. So, the seller is likely right.

Jim Matthews
12-06-2014, 9:03 AM
I have a vague recollection that Kunz once offered their
smoother with this adjustment mechanism,
before they incorporated a Norris style aduster.

The problem is holding an iron that short for sharpening.

Lonnie Gallaher
12-06-2014, 1:19 PM
It looks like a much nicer model of the Harbor Freight 33 (http://www.harborfreight.com/no-33-bench-plane-97544.html).

steven c newman
12-06-2014, 1:20 PM
There is a "Modern" version floating around
It is a #3 sized one, though. I reground the edge on mine into a 3" radius. Makes a very nice scrub plane. 301686
Windsor #33.....$9.99 +tax @ H.F............

David Weaver
12-06-2014, 2:05 PM
Found it on a local auction site and wondered what it was. At first I thought it was a scrub plane and then perhaps a scraper plane of sorts but I just don't know.

The depth adjustments are similar to the old Stanley No 151 spokeshave.

The seller has called this a German No.3 and he may be correct of course.

TIA.

It is an attempt at a very inexpensive smooth plane design, and it's best to avoid anything that looks like that.

steven c newman
12-06-2014, 2:14 PM
Wood on it looks good, though.

Handles on the Harbor Freight $10 planes are very nice as well. Where else can one get a set of plane handles.....for $10?

At least that "German No. 3" looks better than the Stanley SB4 thing that almost looks like a plane....

David Weaver
12-06-2014, 2:28 PM
Wood on it looks good, though.

Handles on the Harbor Freight $10 planes are very nice as well. Where else can one get a set of plane handles.....for $10?

At least that "German No. 3" looks better than the Stanley SB4 thing that almost looks like a plane....

Yeah, the SB 4 is to be avoided also. I knew one of the major makers made a plane like that after they went to duds, but I couldn't remember what it was.

Millers falls planes on ebay are a good way to get good wood (though the $10 sales are less common and you'd need to keep their posts since they don't use the same top side design as stanley). The HF planes are heavily lacquered beech wooden parts or something similar.

steven c newman
12-06-2014, 4:11 PM
Never had the handles off from the windsor 33. I do know it makes a very hungry little scrub plane. I also have only had to sharpen it twice in three years of use.

That Stanley THING is ugly. About the only thing worse is the SB5 or whatever they called that "block" plane. Menards even closed those two out......for Great Neck made ones.....

The Windsor #33 is in no way shape, or form a smoother, but it will give a Stanley #40 a run for it's money as a scrub plane.

Can't see the mouth on that German #3, to see how wide it is. It MIGHT make a scrub plane........

Hilton Ralphs
12-08-2014, 9:16 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll pass on this one then as I have a couple of Stanley No 3s already.

IF the seller was closer, I'd buy it for the tote and handle.

Kim Malmberg
12-08-2014, 11:02 AM
It looks like an old Kunz Brillant no 300. I've had two of those (please don't ask why). Despite the name its not that brilliant. I still have one which I occasionally use outdoors. The handle does not fit a Stanley and the front knob is a chunky piece which also is lower than the Stanley front knob.