PDA

View Full Version : Skew size?

John Sincerbeaux
12-06-2014, 12:32 AM
I want to turn some large diameter(6"-8") table legs. I feel pretty comfortable with my only skew, a 3/4" straight profile. I'm interested in a much larger rounded skew like a 1 1/4" D-Way skew. Any guys out there turn large spindles? What size skew?

thanks!

Shawn Pachlhofer
12-06-2014, 2:06 AM
a larger skew gives you a larger "sweet spot" for making cuts and preventing skates, run-backs and dig ins.

Michelle Rich
12-06-2014, 7:07 AM
a 1-1-1/4 is much easier to control

Dale Miner
12-06-2014, 7:57 AM
I have several sizes from 3/8" to 1-1/4". The 3/4" gets the most use and has the highest comfort level. The largest one gets used on larger diameter pieces, but at about 3" or 4” diameter, I generally switch over to gouges. The larger the diameter, the higher the tool rest, and much above 4" things start to feel awkward. For stock removal on larger pieces, gouges are faster (for me).

Paul Gilbert
12-06-2014, 12:21 PM
This is what I use for anyting much bigger than a finial. Lacer Ultimate/Uber Skew 1 3/8"I find that the bigger the skew the easier it is to use. I especially like the Lacer grind and use it on all of my skews bigger than 1/4" I especially dislike oval or round skews. Flat skews are easily ground without special jigs, have more steel in the blade, and with a radius ground on the heel side of the blade are easily managed over the tool rest.

Mike Peace
12-06-2014, 1:36 PM
I use a 3/4" skew for most stuff but generally do not do large spindles. I have the 1 3/8" Lacer skew but never got comfortable using it on smaller stuff. It just seems awkward with the large handle. It would be great for table legs.

Thom Sturgill
12-07-2014, 2:04 PM
I started with a 1/2 and a 3/4 skew then added a Lacer style 1 3/8. Recently added a new 3/4 ground Lacer style and a 3/8 round skew. I still prefer the large skew for most things, though the other new skews get their share of use, mostly due to better metal. I don't think size of the piece of work makes much difference in which flat skew I use.

robert baccus
12-07-2014, 10:59 PM
I do not own a skew nor have a death wish!!

Kyle Iwamoto
12-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I have an assortment of skews, a small 1/2" to a large Lacer style 1-1/4" Sorby. Also have an oval skew. They all have their strong and weak points, so 1 skew cannot be my "favorite". My answer to your question, is I'd use a gouge for something that big. Well, a couple gouges, finishing with a detail gouge. Just my $0.02.

John Thorson
12-08-2014, 3:47 PM
Short answer - a relatively small skew is more than adequate for most cuts you will make with it.

Long answer - If you observe the safety advice to keep the portion of the skew actually cutting wood isolated to the portion of the edge adequately supported by the tool rest you will seldom engage more than a 1/4 inch of the edge. The wider skews are actually easier to hold in the hand for me but I only engage a significant amount of the edge when using as a scraper or in a peeling cut with the wide part of the blade firmly on the tool rest.

Steve Baumgartner
12-08-2014, 6:03 PM
I like a large (1 1/4) skew for most work, but shift to a smaller one for small details. I just prefer the solid heft of the big boy, especially when smoothing off a large surface.