PDA

View Full Version : 3-Phase wiring

Ethan Melad
12-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Quick question for those who know more about electrical than I do -

I run a couple machines off my 7.5hp RPC, and I'm picking up a large Torit cyclone tomorrow that will also run 3-phase. I have a 3-phase outlet where I plug in my jointer, but no other available outlets in the vicinity. Would there be any issue with running power for the dust collector (which will be outside with a disconnect) directly from the existing outlet? I know the RPC will be able to handle both machines running at the same time, but want to make sure theres no issue running them on the same circuit.

Thanks

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Is the wiring and outlet sized correctly for combined amperage?

Ethan Melad
12-06-2014, 8:25 AM
good question- ill have to check.

Brian Backner
12-06-2014, 4:14 PM
If you ever intend to add more three phase equipment, a very good way to do this is by adding an integrated three phase distribution panel after the RPC. With this, you can easily "stack" additional three phase motors for greater starting capacity (to the limits of both your wiring for amperage and the single phase breaker that feeds the RPC). To accomplish this, pull a second, or third, etc., motor from a breaker in this panel. Spin up the main RPC, use it start the second, smaller motor (use a 5hp for your 7.5RPC) to give you a total of 12.5hp to start even larger motors.

I have a 15hp RPC that was simply incapable of starting a 10hp air compressor. I added a 10hp motor in this way and it could start the AC about a third of the time. Adding a second 10hp would have done the trick, but at that point it would take up too much room, so I swapped out the motor on the AC for a 10hp single phase motor.

The attached diagram takes a while to work through and understand, but it makes for a very versatile and customizable 3 phase system.

Judson Green
12-06-2014, 7:04 PM
Quick question for those who know more about electrical than I do -

I run a couple machines off my 7.5hp RPC, and I'm picking up a large Torit cyclone tomorrow that will also run 3-phase. I have a 3-phase outlet where I plug in my jointer, but no other available outlets in the vicinity. Would there be any issue with running power for the dust collector (which will be outside with a disconnect) directly from the existing outlet? I know the RPC will be able to handle both machines running at the same time, but want to make sure theres no issue running them on the same circuit.

Thanks

Do you mean actually plugging it into the existing jointer outlet?

Ethan Melad
12-06-2014, 8:57 PM
Do you mean actually plugging it into the existing jointer outlet?

No- that would obviously work, but would not allow for operating the two machines at the same time...
I am planning on continuing a line from the existing outlet to the dust collector, either with a second outlet or hardwired.
As far as I can think, there should be no problem as long as my line and breaker are sized for the maximum load, as Mike asked. I'll be able to check that info tomorrow.

Judson Green
12-06-2014, 9:35 PM
Wasn't sure. The jointer (at least in my shop) wasn't the worst offender, dust wise, it was nice to have it hooked up though.

Steve Jenkins
12-07-2014, 8:21 AM
I feed a separate 3phase panel off my rpc. This allows me to add more 3phase circuits as I need them and each machine will have its own breaker

Ethan Melad
12-07-2014, 9:13 AM
I feed a separate 3phase panel off my rpc. This allows me to add more 3phase circuits as I need them and each machine will have its own breaker

Yeah, this is how i would have expected it to be done. Unfortunately the electrician did something different at the time of install and I'm not sure I have the knowledge to change what he did and put in a panel.