PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Router Problem

Mark Mandell
05-29-2003, 7:46 AM
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, what they did.

Have a Bosch 1618EVS D-handle 2 hp router that (up to now) has been great. Had to cut a series of 3/8" x 3/8" dadoes in some 6' panels. First few went fine. Then, apparently, the micro-adjuster began turning and thus advanced to bit further into the workpiece. Wound up wrecking the panel when the bit nearly cut through the full 7/8" thickness by the end of the cut.

Checked the clamp (all seems normal) and tried again - same result.

Thanks for the input.

Mark

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-29-2003, 8:00 AM
I guess you probably checked this...but are you sure the micro thingy was fouled and it wasn't just the bit slipping in the collet?

I've had bits slip in dado cuts in every router I've ever had...and that means B&D, PC, DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, AND Bosch...

KC

Mike Worthan
05-29-2003, 8:12 AM
This reminds me of one modification I noticed that Pat Warner does to almost all of his routers with that Microadjust feature. He likes to drill a small hole in the threaded part of the housing, tap it and use a brass machine screw to clamp the threads tight. Seems to be a problem with a lot of routers. I'll attach a picture from his site to illustrate my point. here's his site: http://www.patwarner.com/index.shtml

Ted Shrader
05-29-2003, 8:58 AM
Originally posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
I guess you probably checked this...but are you sure the micro thingy was fouled and it wasn't just the bit slipping in the collet?

I've had bits slip in dado cuts in every router I've ever had...and that means B&D, PC, DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, AND Bosch...

KC

When I have problems like this, it is most always the bit slipping. Gotta make sure the bit shank and the collet are clean!

If the micro adjust did slip, the Pat Warner suggestion from Mike is a good one.

Good luck,
Ted

Marvin Keys
05-29-2003, 12:28 PM
I have also had this problem with a DeWalt router and it turned out to be slippage of the bit in the collet. I went from a 1/4 inch deep cut on one end of an 18" long dado cut to completely through the 3/4" board at the other end.

I think in my instance I failed to tighten the collet enough, but I'm not sure, I haven't made the same cut again. How tight is tight enough?

Jeff Watson
05-29-2003, 1:40 PM
I have the same router and have had this problem my self. Your talking about the fixed base D-handle. What worked for me was to just tighten the nut on the flip clamp. Simple as that.

Mark Mandell
05-29-2003, 8:20 PM
Thanks, Jeff,

Got the same response from "Carol The Routerlady" on WC.

Not much response from Bosch except "take it to our service center" {out of warranty, you understand, so that examination would be "fee-based"}.

Have tightened the nut about a turn, and will see. Leary of too much tension across that "assembly" for fear of snapping the casting, which then puts me SOL.

Thanks