PDA

View Full Version : router bits

sherri reynolds
12-05-2014, 1:52 PM
some of my router bits were left out and got rained on by accident and now they have rust on them can I still use them and how do I get the rust off if I can still use them thanks for hte help

cody michael
12-05-2014, 2:04 PM
I don't know whether it is good to still use them, but I have great results with"evaporust" you can buy it at advance auto (with coupons) or harbor freight, I got some from advance, it does wonders removing wood. is not an acid, paint safe etc.

I had a pair of channel locks I found that were so rusted you couldn't open them, soaked in evaporust. they look great except for the few spot the rust eat into the metal, they now have clean rust free craters there

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2014, 2:05 PM
You might try looking for some Navel Jelly. It is sold at most hardware stores and HD, Lowe's, etc.

sherri reynolds
12-05-2014, 2:32 PM
someone told me to try vinegar and that would do the job don't know about that one

Matt Day
12-05-2014, 3:49 PM
Bar keepers friend is another option, but I agree with Cody and would use evaporust. That stuff just works!

Lee Schierer
12-05-2014, 3:50 PM
You can clean the rust off by hand with Scotch Brite, just don't buff the cutting edges. Make sure you polish the shanks so they are smooth and clean.

Vinegar is a very mild acid so it might have some rust removing properties. I don't think it will hurt the steel, carbide or brazing as long as you don't soak it very long.