PDA

View Full Version : Simple wood mallet build

Daniel Rode
12-05-2014, 10:56 AM
I tried a round carver's style mallet and didn't like it. I went back to my Vaughn double face but decided to make myself a wood mallet. The wood and dimensions were mostly a result of what I found in the scrap pile. I laminated a couple of pieces of 5/4 white oak and got a pair blanks 2 1/8" x 3 1/2" x 7". I found a couple more off-cuts for handles.

For this one, I went with a final head size of 2 1/8" x 3" x 5" with about a 5 degree angle on the face. I set the mortise size to the chisel I used which was a bit under 3/4". I left the handle stock about 1/32" over that. The handle tapers from 1 3/4" to 1 1/4" over 14". I took the handle and matched center lines up leaving about 1" of the handle proud. From this, I marked the mortise top and bottom. The exact angle doesn't matter as it's a match fit.

Lacking a 7/16" bit, I drilled 1/2" holes on each side of the mortise matching the angle. I made a 3rd hold in the center and then chopped out the remaining waste. To help get the walls at the right angle, I made a guide bock out of scrap. I pared the walls flat and then planed the handle to width. I wanted the width snug but no real pressure across the grain. Then I fitted the handle by whacking it into place and then removing it to take some shavings off until it sat where I wanted. The angle or the handle and mortise matched perfectly the first time. That's a first for me!

A little spoke shave work and a little sanding and it's done. I haven't weighed it but I designed it to be similar in size to the 20 oz that Crown sells. Small and light by mallet standards. The whole process from layout to completed mallet took about 2 hours. The next one will go faster. It came out better than I expect for my first try.

I'm making a second one like this (for a present) and then I'm going to make a larger mallet for myself.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-05-2014, 11:02 AM
I have a similar mallet that I call my "persuader". It is used to persuade things that don't want to fit.

Jim Koepke
12-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Looks good.

After making a few mallets my only desire is for some more wood big enough to make mallets without having to laminate pieces.

jtk

Gordon Eyre
12-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Nice looking mallet Daniel. You may want to consider laminating two different colors of wood when you are ready to make another one. Here is a picture of mine I made a Year ago.

Daniel Rode
12-05-2014, 1:31 PM
Thanks Gordon. That's a great idea. If I'm going to laminate to get my thickness, I might as well make it look interesting.

Jim, I've been thinking about using firewood or downed limbs to get thick enough wood. However, I don't have a bowsaw, bandsaw to cut it or froe to split it. I've had riving woo on my mind lately :)

Pat Barry
12-05-2014, 2:06 PM
Thanks Gordon. That's a great idea. If I'm going to laminate to get my thickness, I might as well make it look interesting.

Jim, I've been thinking about using firewood or downed limbs to get thick enough wood. However, I don't have a bowsaw, bandsaw to cut it or froe to split it. I've had riving woo on my mind lately :)
Hatchet should do the job to split a piece of firewood

Pat Barry
12-05-2014, 2:08 PM
Nice looking mallet Daniel. You may want to consider laminating two different colors of wood when you are ready to make another one. Here is a picture of mine I made a Year ago.

Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee - "you call that a knife, now this here is a knife". That's one whopper of a mallet Gordon - nice work

Jim Koepke
12-05-2014, 3:13 PM

Like Pat says, your splitting maul or hatchet should get you close.

Do you have a chainsaw? It isn't hard to make a ground clamp to hold a piece so you can do some rip cuts with your chainsaw.

A froe shouldn't be too hard to find used for under $30. It wouldn't be hard to make one from an old leaf spring or some other metal flat stock.

Part of the fun is figuring out how to do something with what is at hand.

My firewood isn't usually all that good for mallets. Most of it is alder which isn't much harder than western pine. Most of my maple and cherry aren't big enough. All that was cut by the previous owner.

jtk

Daniel Rode
12-05-2014, 3:43 PM
I don't have a fireplace, chainsaw or much of anything to handle wood before it's been milled. However, I do run into good size logs and limbs of oak and maple that could conceivably be dried and used. You don't need much to make a few mallets for gifts.

I may try making a froe. It's such a simple tool even I ought to be able to make one.

Jim Koepke
12-05-2014, 4:33 PM
I do run into good size logs and limbs of oak and maple that could conceivably be dried and used.

They are often easier to work green.

Just make the handle proud by an inch or more to allow for any shrinkage.

jtk