PDA

View Full Version : What the Chuck!?!?

jared parson
12-05-2014, 9:12 AM
I've been wanting to add a second chuck to my arsenal for some time, and aren't sure which one. I currently use the Nova G3 and have no complaints. I've been eying the Supernova 2. At almost twice the weight, it claims good holding power. The price is a bit more, and this month Woodcraft has both on sale, I'm just wondering what the additional benefits are for the extra money. Anyone using it, or both that have done a side by side comparison? What other chucks are you guys using in that general price range? (Under $200)
im basically looking for a second chuck to avoid changing jaws so often. I assume these 2 would have interchangeable jaws. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!
JP

Roger Chandler
12-05-2014, 9:20 AM
If you will stay with the Nova line, then the jaws will be interchangable, which gives you more options in types of projects. I have several supernova's and a couple of Hurricane HTC chucks, which I also like very much. The Supernova will do most anything others will provided you have the right set of jaws on it. If you are going to do big turnings, I recommend the power grip jaws, if you are going to do mainly bowls then get a set of at least 100mm bowl jaws.......I have most of their jaw sets, because I do a lot of different types of forms, so versatility is important to me.

Marty Tippin
12-05-2014, 10:19 AM
I've got 3 SuperNova 2's with different jaws and find them to work great for everything I need to do (occasionally purchasing a new set of jaws when the ones I have won't work). I don't think you can go wrong with the SN2 - the Woodcraft discount makes it hard to pass up!

I just bought a used OneWay Stronghold, mostly out of curiosity as I see them highly regarded here and elsewhere. It'll be used for the really big stuff.

allen thunem
12-05-2014, 11:39 AM
research the hurricane chuck
have heard good things about them

Don Bunce
12-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I have an original Nova chuck with various jaws for smaller work.

For the big stuff I am very happy with my Hurricane HTC125 chuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75_m-zLk34

Mike Peace
12-05-2014, 5:05 PM
I have both and prefer the Alan wrench to the G3's chuck key. Happy with both. The ability to interchange jaws is a plus but might not be significant If you have one chuck with a big jaw set that does not get switched out.

glenn bradley
12-05-2014, 6:34 PM
Dad just picked up another Super Nova 2 for $160 on Amazon. Dad also favors the allen wrench to his Oneway Talon chuck keyed chucks. I only turn when I am visiting so I have no direct comments ;-)

jared parson
12-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, now you've got me looking at the hurricane too. Thanks for the video link Don.