PDA

View Full Version : Are routers protected from dust settle when used in a table?

Tony Zona
12-05-2014, 5:23 AM
My router table is at the end of my table saw table. I put a 4-inch or so plastic can lid
over the router motor to minimize dust from settling into the motor. Before each use
I had to remove the router from its handle mount, remove the plastic lid,
and remount the router.

I quit doing that this week. No more plastic lid. It was a nuisance.

Do I have to be concerned about casual saw dust from the saw blade falling into the router?
I don't know if routers are built to protect from dust when they are used inverted, in a table.

Dave Richards
12-05-2014, 5:55 AM
It does seem like the motor is a bit exposed when hanging inverted like that. It makes sense to try to keep it clean.

I have an Incra router lift for my router table. There's a solid insert plate intended to be customized. I've never found a need to do that so I just use it as a lid when the router is in the table but unused. (which isn't all that often since I usual keep the PC-121 in my router table.)

Could you put a flush cover in the opening of your router plate?

George Bokros
12-05-2014, 7:29 AM
I believe the OP is referring to sawdust settling in the router which you cannot avoid because it must be exposed when using it in the table.

Dave Richards
12-05-2014, 7:42 AM
I believe the OP is referring to sawdust settling in the router which you cannot avoid because it must be exposed when using it in the table.

That's funny, George. His question was, "Do I have to be concerned about casual saw dust from the saw blade falling into the router?" Maybe you use saw blades in your router but I'd guess that's not a common practice. And as I said, the blank insert is used when the router isn't being used.:rolleyes:

Wade Lippman
12-05-2014, 8:32 AM
I've done it for years without even thinking about it. No problems to date.

But now you've got me thinking about it. Naw, they would warn you about it in the manual, or at least void the warranty.

John D Watson
12-05-2014, 8:48 AM
I just had my router apart yesterday after being in the same position as yours for about five years. I was expecting lots of dust. There was some in and around the motor vents and that was it. I lubed her up and went to town. There was no cover other than a one inch insert.

Mike Cutler
12-05-2014, 8:57 AM
A Porter Cable 7529 is most definitely not protected. It took a couple of years, but the wood dust eventually found it's way to the brushes and armature assembly. It's "toast" now. Literally.

I'm sure each router is different in it's degree of protection.

Prashun Patel
12-05-2014, 9:00 AM
The plastic lid may in fact prevent adequate venting of the motor heat. I was counselled that if a jacket is used around the router in a table, it should be coupled with dust collection to keep air flowing over the motor. I just router planed a couple large sycamore slabs with a plunge router. I doubt any table mounted router would receive more of a dust drubbing than this. I'm thinking dust on the motor isn't too big an issue for this tool.

George Bokros
12-05-2014, 9:00 AM
That's funny, George. His question was, "Do I have to be concerned about casual saw dust from the saw blade falling into the router?" Maybe you use saw blades in your router but I'd guess that's not a common practice. And as I said, the blank insert is used when the router isn't being used.:rolleyes:

Guess I didn't read that portion of his post. Thank you for correcting me, thank you for correcting me Dave.

Tony Zona
12-05-2014, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the thought, people,

And, by the way, the plastic cover was never in place during use.

John Coloccia
12-05-2014, 9:13 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I've personally never worried about it.

glenn bradley
12-05-2014, 9:16 AM
Hi Tony, I have run router tables for many years. Except for a very brief exception they have always been mounted to the left of the tablesaw which puts the router within about 3 feet of the tablesaw blade. Although I have a solid insert for my lift that could cover the router table throat I have never used it. Any errant spoil that makes its way to the router gets sucked off by the DC or blown/wiped off by me in the act of changing bits. I am pretty diligent about making sure the collet is clean before mounting a bit. The motor has never shown any problem from dust accumulation between uses. I use Milwaukee routers that are built with an above the table adjustment capability. As to whether this is just a nice feature to have or whether any other things about the router (fan direction, seals, etc) are built with table use in mind I do not know. If such things were added I am pretty sure the marketing department would be bragging about it :).

Ole Anderson
12-05-2014, 9:24 AM
Am I missing something here? Shouldn't you be more concerned with the dust generated when routing than what might fall down the hole from your table saw? Routers generate lots of dust, more than your TS. I had to replace the VS controller on both of my routers, but the culprit didn't seem to be dust.

Dave Cullen
12-05-2014, 10:28 AM
A Porter Cable 7529 is most definitely not protected. It took a couple of years, but the wood dust eventually found it's way to the brushes and armature assembly. It's "toast" now. Literally.

I'm sure each router is different in it's degree of protection.

I think that's true. Some router manufacturers today are advertising sealed bearings and encapsulated electronics and special venting features of their machines to appeal to the router table crowd.

Jon Nuckles
12-05-2014, 11:08 AM
My PC7518 is in my tablesaw outfeed table. I don't use the router that often, so I usually put a wide piece of blue painter's tape across the insert opening when I finish using it. Keeps the sawdust out until I use it again and doesn't interfere with using the saw, but I agree with others that the dust from using the router itself must be a bigger issue than the dust from the saw.

Alan Schwabacher
12-06-2014, 7:11 PM
While running, most (all?) routers have fans that blow cooling air past the motor and out near the bit, keeping dust from falling in while running upside down. Probably small amounts of dust that fall in will be blown out as the router starts up. I think if there's enough dust from using your saw that it might hurt the router, you'd be best off putting time and/or money into dust collection on your saw, making the shop more pleasant and protecting yourself as well as your router.

Ole Anderson
12-06-2014, 9:17 PM
While running, most (all?) routers have fans that blow cooling air past the motor and out near the bit, keeping dust from falling in while running upside down.

All the more reason to expect that most of the dust collection will be at the fence, not below the table.