PDA

View Full Version : Total newbie

James Lehr
12-04-2014, 10:41 PM
So my 8 pc set of HSS Benjamin Best lathe tools arrived today. I'm itching to get started turning on my new Jet 1015 mini-lathe. My question (and I've searched a lot before asking) is whether there exists a definitive video on sharpening lathe tools for beginners? Also, I really would like to know how to "set up" a brand new set of lathe tools? Coming from hand tools I know flattening chisel backs and establishing a secondary bevel etc. is there something like that which needs to be done before using the lathe tools? Thanks for any info.

Thomas Canfield
12-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Best thing is to join a local turning club and get a mentor to help you start. Getting off to a good start is important and will greatly add to your pleasure in turning. I strongly advise new turners to start off with some 2x pine material (2x2, 2x4, 2x6, etc) which is usually free. That will allow you to practice your different cuts and also help show if the tools are sharp or not, and how you can improve your finish cuts by sharper tools, faster speed, and better techniques. You can do both spindle work and bowl work with the 2x material. You did not mention a chuck, so I expect most of your initial work will be done on spindle work, but a faceplate will allow you to do some bowl work.

Congratulations, and good luck.

James Lehr
12-05-2014, 1:32 AM
I purchased the Nova G3 as well. I want to turn small bowls, vessels, and maybe some boxes. I have never sharpened a lathe tool before and would really love to learn. I've checked into a club but the closest is 2 hrs away.

John Keeton
12-05-2014, 6:59 AM
Check out D-Way Tools website. Dave has several videos and as I recall, one on sharpening. Also, I highly recommend perfecting your spindle work first. Most beginners want to turn bowls and I understand that. But, the skill set for bowls is different as are the tools. Much of what you learn for effective spindle work will transfer to bowl work - body movements, toolrest positioning, tool control, sharpening, etc. However, the opposite is not necessarily true. Starting with poor habits on bowl work will make it difficult to later accomplish spindle work IMO.

John Thorson
12-05-2014, 7:24 AM
A 3 page article 'Sharpening Demystified' by Kirk DeHeer published in the American Woodturner Winter 2006 issue is great reading before taking on sharpening of your spindle or bowl gouges. The article quickly and clearly explains how to repeatably setup your jig for the various angles you want to grind and other details making it easy to 'get it right'.

The Honolulu Woodturners have a link to this article on their web site: http://honoluluwoodturners.org/16_tips/sharpening%20demyst.pdf

Roger Chandler
12-05-2014, 9:34 AM
Check out Oneway manufacturing's website........they manufacture lathes and the wolverine sharpening system. Their video comes with the Wolverine system, but I believe they also have links to using it as well. I also suggest you call or contact the club nearest you and speak to someone.........they likely will invite you to a meeting and you will get personal instruction on sharpening. Most clubs offer training such as you need free of any charge.

Brian Brown
12-05-2014, 9:50 AM
So My question is whether there exists a definitive video on sharpening lathe tools for beginners?

Definitive possibly, but while you are looking, try the free online videos from CSUSA. They are brief, but cover the basics. They are aimed at selling product, but I guess that's the price we pay for free vids. Besides, why should your wallet be thicker than the rest of ours. :D This vid is about 8 min., and covers the basics of sharpening the spindle roughing gouge, spindle gouge, parting tool, scrapper, bowl gouge, and skew.

DubDubDub.woodturnerscatalog.com/Video/269

Not definitive, but worth a look. I found it very useful.

Shawn Pachlhofer
12-05-2014, 1:48 PM
A 3 page article 'Sharpening Demystified' by Kirk DeHeer published in the American Woodturner Winter 2006 issue is great reading before taking on sharpening of your spindle or bowl gouges. The article quickly and clearly explains how to repeatably setup your jig for the various angles you want to grind and other details making it easy to 'get it right'.

The Honolulu Woodturners have a link to this article on their web site: http://honoluluwoodturners.org/16_tips/sharpening%20demyst.pdf
Kirk DeHeer has a video for sale by the same name, IIRC - "Sharpening Demystified" - I have not seen the video, but I did have a turning class with him a few years ago.

So I would that based on the class - his video would be very helpful for a new turner in learning not only HOW to sharpen - but WHY it's done in the manner that we do.

John Keeton
12-05-2014, 3:59 PM
You might consider the Glenn Lucas video, too. One of them has a segment on sharpening and Lucas is a phenomenal turner.

Wes Ramsey
12-05-2014, 6:45 PM
I started with the same set of tools almost a year ago and have been pretty happy with them. I'm one of those that started out wanting to turn bowls and not much else. It has been a challenge to figure out tool presentation and I'm still learning, but as with you my local club is quite a drive. I joined, but haven't been but a couple of times in 2 years. The main thing is safety - beyond that, turn what you want. I've made a lot of pretty, round firewood, but I learned something with each mistake. And I've also been through a lot of sandpaper! Youtube has a wealth of turning videos to learn how to use each tool correctly, and Tim Yoder has a great show on public television here called 'Woodturners Workshop'.

Over the few months I sharpened them by hand I got a good feel for how NOT to do it, but never quite got the hang of how to do it right. The wife got me a slow-speed grinder and Wolverine jig set for my b-day and I haven't looked back. It's a big investment, but a worthy one once you see the difference in how a properly-sharpened chisel cuts compared to how it cuts when dull. I heard someone on here say once that a chisel that is 'almost sharp' will almost cut wood!

As for expertise you've come to the right place. Lotsa info already available here and some great spinners that are always willing to offer suggestions and answer questions. Enjoy your new hobby!

Jim Meyer
12-05-2014, 7:19 PM
James- I sugest going to you tube john lucas woodturner. He has a lot of good videos on sharping plus how to use your new gouges. Good luck. Jim

Marvin Hasenak
12-05-2014, 9:18 PM
Does your local high school offer any wood shop classes? What about any community colleges in the area? Any of them might be a source or know of someone locally that is a woodturner.

Closest club info on this link, http://catalog.tscpl.org/polaris/search/communityinformation.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&type=Community&by=SU&term=Woodworking+Instruction&isbrowse=1&sort=PN&communitysearchtype=browse

James Lehr
12-05-2014, 11:40 PM
I found a great sharpening video series on YouTube but the turner went over everything specific to the basic grinds off camera! I bought the Rikon grinder and the wolverine system except for the vari-grind jig. Unfortunately it seems that is a key part of the system! Does anyone know of a site or article that has pictures of the different grinds for each lathe tool (bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew chisel, etc)? I'm a great visual learner so books are also very helpful.

Dale Gillaspy
12-06-2014, 9:04 AM
Yes, you are right, the Vari-grind jig is a key part of the system for gouges. In addition to all the other references above, you should visit Doug Thompson's website. www.thompsonlathetools.com. (http://thompsonlathetools.com) He has a PDF of settings for the vary grind jig for the different grinds. Remember, grinds and the angle of grinds are all just suggestions. Some people will tell you 60 degrees for a bowl gouge, 40 for a detail spindle gouge, some people will tell you 50 or 60 for everything. It comes down to start with something consistent and then find what works for you. There is no real right or wrong answer.

Reed Gray
12-06-2014, 11:25 AM
James, I have a number of clips up as well if you type in robo hippy, including a couple on sharpening. Gouge angles depend a lot on personal preference. For a bowl gouge, if you have only one, then about 60 degree bevel is universal where you can turn the outside, and inside which includes the wall, transition, and across the bottom. I have 2 main angles that I use, a 45 degree bevel for the outside, and the inside wall, then 70 degree bevel for the 'bottom feeders'. The more blunt bevel allows you to go through the transition and across the bottom while keeping bevel contact. You can't get across deeper bowls with a 45 degree bevel.

robo hippy

Thomas Canfield
12-06-2014, 9:07 PM
I purchased the Nova G3 as well. I want to turn small bowls, vessels, and maybe some boxes. I have never sharpened a lathe tool before and would really love to learn. I've checked into a club but the closest is 2 hrs away.

James,

One of the good things about a local club is that the members are spread out, and hopefully there would e one or more much closer to you that would allow you to visit their shop or even visit your shop to work with your tools and equipment. Maybe some of the Kansas members here will send you a PM or offer other suggestions.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-06-2014, 11:35 PM
I found a great sharpening video series on YouTube but the turner went over everything specific to the basic grinds off camera! I bought the Rikon grinder and the wolverine system except for the vari-grind jig. Unfortunately it seems that is a key part of the system! Does anyone know of a site or article that has pictures of the different grinds for each lathe tool (bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew chisel, etc)? I'm a great visual learner so books are also very helpful.

Here are Oneway video’s they are for their products but can help other product users also.

file://localhost/Users/leovdl/Desktop/www.oneway.ca:%202.webloc

Robert Speier
12-09-2014, 12:14 PM
James, hope I'm not speaking out of turn be there's a turner and Sawmill Creek member that lives in Dripping Springs named Robert McGowen, not too far from you. You might send him a private message and see if he can help

Scott Vincent
12-09-2014, 11:27 PM
I have to second Glenn Lucas. He just released his sharpening video. Very high quality DVDs. I think its very important as a new turner to pick one sharpening system and don't get too hung up on angles and such. Until you understand what different angles do don't go changing a lot of things at once. Glenn has a specific way of sharpening and its easy to reproduce. As you learn you can do different things. Good luck

James Lehr
12-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. I've got my grinder set up but I still feel tentative about grinding the bevels. Any idea if these Benjamin Best tools already have a grind I could just "touch up" to sharpen and get to practicing? I can take some pictures but I wondered if anyone has experience using these specific tools.

Wes Ramsey
12-10-2014, 4:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I've got my grinder set up but I still feel tentative about grinding the bevels. Any idea if these Benjamin Best tools already have a grind I could just "touch up" to sharpen and get to practicing? I can take some pictures but I wondered if anyone has experience using these specific tools.

I use that same set every day. The bevels they give you are great to start with. I don't know that you necessarily need to change anything to get started. Mine were sharp enough out of the box to begin turning. They are decent tools that get the job done and I'm pretty happy with mine.