PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomlishments...

Dennis Peacock
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Lightening got my router, cable modem, firewall, network cable and my network adapter card on Friday morning. The lightening ran in on my tv cable from down the street. Needless to say, I've been off the air since Friday morning. I have all kinds of "protection" for my setup, but lightening doesn't seem to pay any attention to my protection devices. Of course I've also seen lightening completely disregard a $1,000 network lightening protector on an ATM before as well.!!! :eek:

Anyway, done a little tinkering around the house and spent time working on drawing up a set of cabinets I've been hired to do. Sunday was church and family time and today....it's ONCALL Duty!!!!!! :(

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Friday afternoon I drove back from Cleveland where I was in training all week. We had guests for dinner and I picked up my "new" truck. Saturday I did maintenance on the cars, picked up a new 6" sander, and spent most of the day with my daughter. Sunday I got in quite a bit of shop time fitting the doors and sanding the buffet. I have a few more hours of sanding to do before I start finishing. Since I need to have it done in about 2 weeks, I don't have much time left.

Keith Christopher
07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
finished some templates for a couple of projects I'm working on. Lazed around the rest of the weekend not much happened.

Keith

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Saturday....another vertigo attack....slept most of the day. Sunday, put the 3rd coat of mud on the shop ceiling. Delivered a package of walleye to a friend 70 miles away who'd never eaten walleye before. Took the wife to supper. She leaves tomorrow for 4 weeks to help her parents move from their recently sold home into an apartment. I'm on call this week......

Don Baer
07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I completed two ww project this weekend neither one could be considered fine ww but they are functional. The first one is made of pine. The joining was with deck screws. The second is redwood and pine and joined the same way. Both are natural finish.

In the second picture the truck is about 1/3 full. When I finish loading it and hualed it away it weighded in at a little over 1000 lbs. at the local land fill.

Gil Mitchell
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
started a sewer extenion project to hook up to city sewer. called julie some one did not mark all the lines so we tore up electrical, telephone and cable tv .had a nice little fire works diplay for a minute,no one hurt thank god.and it put a halt to this little project for the weekend. I guess we'll be back to digging today.I'm going to stop know before this turns into a rant about being surrounded by the city and forced to never mind i'm done

JayStPeter
07-18-2005, 11:54 AM
A sunburn was my big accomplishment for the weekend :cool: .
Went to the beach in OC, MD. While dealing with the kids, I guess I lost track of which body parts I had sunscreened. My chest and stomach are on fire. The rest retains my perfect t-shirt and sock tan.
On the positive, my normally overcautious 5 year old was playing in the surf and now wants a boogie board (we rented him one for a little while). For one who has never even put his head underwater in a pool, he actually seemed to enjoy the wipeouts that sent him head over heels in the surf.

Jay

Bryan Somers
07-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Cleaned front door and porch rails,touched up with paint. Sanded and painted old clothesline post that the loml hangs her bird feeders on. Run from the wasp that built a nest inside the post:eek: !!! Dead wasp now. Started stripping old paint from back door in prep for new paint till the heat run me inside. Mostly sweated twas a bit warm in the Carolinas.

Jim O'Dell
07-18-2005, 1:02 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Lightening got my router, cable modem, firewall, network cable and my network adapter card on Friday morning. The lightening ran in on my tv cable from down the street. Needless to say, I've been off the air since Friday morning. I have all kinds of "protection" for my setup, but lightening doesn't seem to pay any attention to my protection devices. Of course I've also seen lightening completely disregard a $1,000 network lightening protector on an ATM before as well.!!! :eek:

SNIP
So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

That's bad news, Dennis. I use a surge protector from APC for the cable line since that could happen and not be protected by the battery back up/surge protector. It was pretty cheap and very easy to install. (I just replaced the juction on the wire from the pole to the house with it, ran the ground over the the electrical box ground.

I didn't even open the door to my shop this weekend!! Getting ready to go to Houston for the dog shows. If anyone in Houston comes out for the shows, I'll be the one with Irish Setter puppy that's being made the fool! Jim.

Chris Padilla
07-18-2005, 1:58 PM
I'm getting ready to hang my dust collector and got an okay amount done towards that but I had to spend a lot of cycles leveling the support platform (pics soon so it makes sense). I should get to finally hanging the whole thing over the course of this week.

It was nice a warm in the Bay Area over the weekend...nothing like every pore in your body pushing out salty, sticky water.... :D Oh, and my large garage door faces due West! :(

Earl Reid
07-18-2005, 1:59 PM
I was able to get in some shop time and turned about 30 pens. Also did some public relations for the FPP. I hope to get some feedback soon on the latest project. We need some serious help on this project, Please your help is needed.
Earl :) :)

Vaughn McMillan
07-18-2005, 2:33 PM
Another weekend...another couple'a cutting board orders filled. Beside that, I didn't spend much time in the shop, since the high temps have been around 103* since last week. Used the hot weather as an excuse to get caught up on some David Marks shows I'd TiVo'ed over the past month or so.

Spent a good chunk of the weekend on the computer at home, doing office stuff. I'm currently working on various documents in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish. I can barely make sense of the English stuff (even though I wrote it), so the non-English stuff is even harder for me to comprehend. We pay for translations, but then I still need to spend a good deal of time with each different language getting screen shots, fixing formatting and display problems.

- Vaughn

Steve Clardy
07-18-2005, 3:00 PM
It isn't firewood season, but gotta get it when I can. I've been buying my firewood the last couple of years due to no time to cut it myself. I ordered 10 cords. Started picking it up monday. Got there and got the truck loaded, was backing the trailer up to the wood pile to load, and lost my brakes. So we loaded the trailer, pulled it out of the way and unhooked it. Drove the truck home with no brakes, very slowly, on the back roads and hills.
Went to town and got a brake line, and got it put on. I was bleeding the brakes, and broke another steel line that had rusted through. Wonder why a 1965 has it's brake lines rusting through?:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:
Anyway, got the brakes back and go over to load the truck again and pull the trailer home. Park it as it's dark when I get home.
Next morning, I have a flat tire. Arrghhhhh:eek: :(
That was my week of disasters.
As far as work went, it was ok, but extremely hot in the ol shop.
Steve

Steve Clardy
07-18-2005, 3:02 PM
Something else to fix.

Chris Padilla
07-18-2005, 3:23 PM
I see some nice curl in that piece of firewood, Steve!!! :p ;)

Kurt Aebi
07-18-2005, 3:25 PM
Got relative coming with their motorhome this next weekend and got my woodcraft green wood end sealer on Saturday, so it was now time to clean up the "Campground" (driveway in front of the garage, where I have power & sewage hook-ups) [actually it's the sewer clean-out port - but it works well for th ecamper's sewer hook-up].

Cut up about a 6' long, 9" diameter cherry log. Cut up 2 6-8' long 6-8" diameter apple logs and a 12' long, 10-12" diameter white birch log. Sealed up the edges and stacked tehm to dry.

Mowed the lawn, cleaned up the shop - living room project is now complete and waiting for the carpeting to be installed the 27th, so all the tools and equipment used had been sitting in the doorway to the shop and it was time to put things back where they belong!

Good luck D' with the computer repairs!

Steve! Oh Boy!! :eek:
If it weren't for Bad Luck, you'd have no luck at all! Gloom, Dispair and Agony on you, Ol' Buddy! At least ya got your load home before the tire went flat, stinks nonetheless!

My grandfather always said that you get the most heat from Wood than any other form of heat!
1.) It Heats you up when cuttin' it down,
2.) It Heats you up loading it onto the truck,
3.) It Heats you up cutting it to log length,
4.) It Heats you up splitting it,
5.) It Heats you up stacking it,
6.) It Heats you up bringing it inside and stacking it for the furnace, 7.) It Heats you up when you burn it and lastly,
8.) It Heats you up cleaning up after it, be it the ashes or all the junk (bark, etc.) left behind at each stacking location.

Now what other heat source prvides you with THAT Much Heat!!! :D :D :D

Ed Lang
07-18-2005, 3:38 PM
Went to Woodcraft on Saturday morning and loaded up a big box. Spend the rest of the day playing.

Spend Sunday playing too.

My post is in the turners forum. Look for Fathers Day gift.

Steve Clardy
07-18-2005, 4:22 PM
I see some nice curl in that piece of firewood, Steve!!! :p ;)

Hey!! I can freight that one to ya!!! Make Mom pay for it!!!

Fred Voorhees
07-18-2005, 8:55 PM
Got the birch beadboard ply completely finished with waterbased poly and also got the vinyl sheet flooring down in the mudroom project. Also got all of the new switches, recept's and such installed and am now moving on to the trim work so that the LOML can shortly have her washer and dryer back. Momma don't really like having to make an early AM trip to the laundrimat every Sunday morn! Beleive me!!

Somehow snuck in the Saturday night dirt track racing at my local bullring and opened up a can of whoop *ss on my buddies on the pool table during the Sunday NASCAR race.

Corey Hallagan
07-18-2005, 9:18 PM
Sorry about getting zapped. At least no fire or anything like that. I spent Saturday prepping and painting the living room ceiling and sunday spent the day shopping and installing a new ceiling fan.

Saturday night, went online and did some upgrading of tools. Gloat upcoming! :)

Corey

Jim Becker
07-18-2005, 10:33 PM
There was a weekend??? :D Still pretending to be parents, so no woodworking, no home improvement, no time to whistle Dixie. Did mow the lawn, however...

Corey Hallagan
07-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Jim, thats the game. Then throw in 3 tball practices and a game, soccer practices, day camp hustling and bustling..... it's...funnnnnnnn and then the wife wants to know why in the world it is taking so long to do the livingroom remodel.!!!

Corey

Thomas Prondzinski
07-19-2005, 7:17 AM
No woodworking here,did not want to run the air in the house and shop. Went with my son to TC Harley Davidson to check out the sales.He bought a 05 Harley Super Glide,He's only 18, I didn't get one till I was 32.Spent Sunday riding,160 miles in the 95 degree heat. My newest riding partner.Was a great weekend.

Tom

Frank Pellow
07-19-2005, 7:32 AM
Scrape, sand, replace some rotted wood, scrape, sand, scrape, sand, ...

And there is still a LOT more to do. All in preparation for repainting the trim on the house in order to have it blend with the colours of my new shop.

I last painted the house myself 12 years ago. In the interim, we lived in the Seattle area for 6 years and, while there, I had it painted twice. The painter certainly did not not do as good a job as I do.