PDA

View Full Version : Water Temperature... too Cold?

Bill George
12-04-2014, 6:57 PM
I let my shop drop down to 45 degrees F at night. I also have a very light mixture of anti-freeze just in case the heat fails. Can too cold a water effect the output power of the CO2 glass tube?
I can add a electric heater if so.

Clark Pace
12-04-2014, 8:12 PM
That is what I like my water to be at all the time if possible. You don't wan't it do freeze or condense on the tube, but keep the water cool with give you more power, and increase the life span of the laser tube. I am assuming you have china branded laser, or water cooled.

Dave Sheldrake
12-05-2014, 9:18 AM
DC excited lasers work best at sub zero temperatures (lots into the sub zero range) the problem becomes condense rather than temperatures, in general the colder the better for DC tubes, although last time I posted this on another forum the users went looking for chillers that will hold -20 based on the best temp, not the best *practical* temp so I'm a bit more careful these days :)

cheers

Dave

Kev Williams
12-05-2014, 11:48 AM
might be a dumb question: does a DC laser fire THRU the water, or AROUND it?

Bill George
12-05-2014, 11:58 AM
From what I can see its just a water jacket surrounding.

Neil Pabia
12-05-2014, 1:13 PM
So would a cold air intake directed at the cooling fins help an aircooled tube?

Dave Sheldrake
12-05-2014, 1:49 PM
might be a dumb question: does a DC laser fire THRU the water, or AROUND it?

just a jacket Kev, it cools the gas reserve more than the actual lasing tube, the main part is used to cool the mirrors and output coupler (lens)

cheers

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
12-05-2014, 1:51 PM
So would a cold air intake directed at the cooling fins help an aircooled tube?

In some ways yes if you can keep it stable Neil, but to be honest an aircon unit wouldn't provide a stable temperature, lasing is all about stability to get the best from a tube, hot or cold *spots* can do irreparable damage :( if a DC or Air unit can be kept to +/- 1 degree you will get excellent results.

cheers

Dave