PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee router dust port

Dave Cullen
12-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I've just acquired a Milwaukee 5616-20 router that will be mounted to a table, and I'm searching for the dust collection port that's shown in the owner's manual. There is no reference to it in the parts breakdown. Milwaukee tech support said the part number should be 50-54-5615 but they don't show it as ever having been in stock in any distributor. Google comes up empty.

I'm wondering if it was an idea that never became reality? Have any of you guys fitted a vacuum connection to this router?

Prashun Patel
12-04-2014, 11:19 AM
If it's mounted in a table, then a better bet is to put in a port behind the bit in the fence or make a jacket for the router, and put a port at the bottom of that. The dust port on the router itself is really intended for hand use.

IMHO, if you put a port behind the fence, use a shop vac. If you collect dust from a bucket-style enclosure below the table, I'd personally use a 4" port if you have the option.

Dave Cullen
12-04-2014, 1:27 PM
Milwaukee is awesome -

I posted this thread after spending some time on the phone with Milwaukee tech support and customer service. They were very friendly, professional, and quite apologetic for not being able to help.

15 minutes later, the tech support guy called me back. It had bugged him (and me) that the dust port was clearly shown in the operator's manual, yet they had no references to it in their system. After some research, he was able to identify the correct part number and locate the item somewhere in stock. They're sending me a dust collection port, no charge.

Awesome. I hope the tool is as good as their people are. Merry Christmas, Milwaukee.

And yes, I have a dust port on the fence too. But some operations like grooves don't expose the bit to the fence opening.

Jim Andrew
12-04-2014, 1:55 PM
I sent the base to one of my routers to Eurekazone a few years ago, they drilled out one of the handles and put a plastic pipe in that I can put the end of my hose in. For cutting grooves you have to collect at the router's base. Glad some company has had the sense to add a port.

Dan Rude
12-05-2014, 1:16 AM
It works fairly well, but I don't use it that much unless I am going to make a lot of dust. In Hand operation it can get in the way. Not as nice as the handle base of a PC or what Jim said he had done.
Glad to hear Milwaukee still backs their products. Considering I just bought a the M18/M12 Radio, lights and batteries in the past 3 months. Dan