PDA

View Full Version : Carcase Dovetail Jig

Alan Turner
07-18-2005, 6:46 AM
Here is a workbench jig that was inspired by a post here at SMC. Marking out the tails from the pins (I am a pinfirstian) has always been a nasty piece of work with an unacceptable amount of uncertainty. So, since I don't have a LV twin screw vise, or any other vise where the work can go clear through, I made one.

I drilled the bench at each of the front dog holes to accommodate a 3/8" bolt (threaded rod), made a couple of wooden bench dogs to capture a square nut, captured a second square nut in the "handle," drilled and tapped, epoxied, and backfilled so it does not pull itself out, and crowned the inside of the vise "jaw" just slightly. It has centers from 31" down to 7 3/4" for various sizes of work. Seems to work well.

A couple of notes. I used a countersink on the nuts to assist in the alignment when starting the screw. I filed a bit of a point on the lead screws for the same reason. I made a couple of 1" end grain spacers to lessen the amount of tightening required. It holds from zero to just over 2" in thickness, but with a longer screw it could hold more.

I posted it over on the dark side because that is its use, although electrons (recycled only) were used in its manufacture.

I built this in the early morning off hours this weekend, and finished the final fettle this morning. I think I will put some miles on this, and will likely use it for more than just marking DT's.

Steve Wargo
07-18-2005, 7:52 AM
Very, Very cool. I wonder if my qsawn MDF is strong enough to hold that? That would be so handy. Nicely done Alan.

Roy Wall
07-18-2005, 9:06 AM
Alan,

I view that as the:

Turner Multi-position Twin Screw Vise:)

A winner for sure - Nice! Good Idea - good value!:D

Mark Singer
07-18-2005, 9:27 AM
Alan,

I like itt! Great idea!

Keith Hooks
07-18-2005, 9:46 AM
That's a really clever idea! Thanks for sharing. I could do the same thing on my bench.

Alan Turner
07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Steve,
I think the answer is yes, but you might need to let in a real wood keeper somewhere to make it work. I don't think of this guy as real strong, although it is not weak, and think I will use it primarily for marking and sawing, things that require not too much pressure.

Dave Anderson NH
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
I think you are right. You will find a whole bunch more uses for it than just cutting dovetails the wrong way.:D

Charles McKinley
07-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Alan,

That is very nice vice and for a minimal investment in hardware. Could you put a link to the post that inspired this vise. I think this is an idea that ould be a winning tip for one of the magazines for the originator.

Jamie Buxton
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
If you have a bench in which the dog holes are not quite so convenient, you can accomplish the same thing by using a couple of pipe clamps. They hook over the back of the bench, and clamp the panel in the same position. They also take less time to build. :)

Alan Turner
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Chuck,
I couldn't find it or would have posted it. I hope the contributor will chime in so I can make the proper attribution of this idea. Or, maybe I saw something like it in my various readings. Senior moments are of increasing frequency.

Don Baer
07-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Great looking vise. I was looking at my bench this weekend and thinking about building something similar, now I have your inspiration I think it will be a bit easier.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark Singer
07-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I agree! I used to be a Pinsfirstian too...I switched
I think you are right. You will find a whole bunch more uses for it than just cutting dovetails the wrong way.:D

Mark Stutz
07-18-2005, 9:32 PM
I'm glad I am learning to cut them properly the first time!

Alan, this is why I'm planning, eventually, to use a twin screw vise as a face vise.

Mark

Jim Becker
07-18-2005, 10:37 PM
The "nut in the dog" idea is really kewel, Alan!!!

Derek Cohen
07-19-2005, 9:42 AM
Alan

That is great. I have had the same idea, but just found it easier to use my existing set up (which I am sure I posted here a while back), just a board between my double face vise set up. Plus I was concerned about the clamping strength that a set up like yours might have/not have.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan Turner
07-19-2005, 9:49 AM
Derek,
Maybe it was your set up from which my idea sprang. Thanks.

On mine, becuase of the multiple holes in the face, I can get the threads close to the stock, which will increase holding power. Yours would be good for a very wide piece, but less so for a narrow one, as I see it. I have an Emmert on the front left, but a traditional tail vise on the right side, so I couldn't do what you are doing.

Derek Cohen
07-19-2005, 9:57 AM
I have an Emmert on the front left, but a traditional tail vise on the right side, so I couldn't do what you are doing.

Alan

Any time you want to trade benches, just let me know! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan Turner
07-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Derek,
Just as a courtesy, I would of course be glad to trade, but I think that the shipping costs would be a bit steep. I do, however, have about 7 or 8 patternmaker's vises, most Ememert No. 1's, plus one Yates. But, on my basement bench I have an Emmert No. 2, which for my smallish shop is a better size. That is the only No. 2 that I have.