PDA

View Full Version : Web site hosting

Anthony Yakonick
05-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Any advice? I'm thinking about a web site.

Jason Roehl
05-29-2003, 8:17 AM
I believe Ken highly recommends iPowerWeb. It's pretty cheap, too, if you pay for a whole year up front. I'm thinking of doing something with them in the near future.

Rusty Hughes, Indy
05-29-2003, 2:34 PM
Hello,

I have used HostSave.com for the past three years and am completly satisfied with them. However, they were hit hard by that latest DOS attack. They were very professional about it and cleared it up real quick.

Rusty Hughes

Tom Sweeney
05-29-2003, 3:02 PM
are a family run ISP based out of Virginia - you might want to check with Keith to see what they can do for you.

Might not be the cheapest but I have a feeling you'll get great service.

<a href="http://www.hroads.net/" target="_blank">http://www.hroads.net/</a> is there URL.

Where are you in SE PA? I'm in Coatesville (Chester County) & I do web sites so if you need any help just let me know.

Wayne Johnson
05-29-2003, 4:37 PM
This is who I'm with currently. They've been very responsive to any questions that I've had. I've been impressed so far - and they are very cheap!

http://www.surpasshosting.com

Wayne

Jim Becker
05-29-2003, 5:57 PM
I'm using MyHosting.com and am very happy with them. (But the hosts of SMC were not on my radar map at the time, either...) My site's performance has been really good and I've had no problem with my present development envioronment (Dreamweaver MX) or my previous (FrontPage...which I don't miss one bit!).

Ken Salisbury
05-29-2003, 8:00 PM
Originally posted by Jason Roehl
I believe Ken highly recommends iPowerWeb. It's pretty cheap, too, if you pay for a whole year up front. I'm thinking of doing something with them in the near future.

You have it correct Jason --- I switched my old website from Earthlink to iPowerWeb.com. The cost was $7.95 (if paid for 12 months upfront). Your domain registration cost is included when you pay up front.

In building another web site for myself I obtained a second URL and signed up with iWeb.com. This was before I found iPower.

Now ----> The assessment: First of all as soon as the 60 days run out (middle of June) with iWeb.com I will be swiching that site to iPower Web also.

I was skeptical about iPower's price since at the time I was paying /$19.95/mo with Earthlink. I figured you would have to put up with advertisements, pop-ups, etc . There isn't anything like that with iPower

As it has turned out my skepticism totaly disappered. The features provided are way way way better than the Earthlink features. Their technical support folks are great. I had a few questions -- called and within as short time had a Tech who was able to answer my questions and did so in real professional manner.

You can visit the older site by clicking the "WWW" button at the bottom of this post.

The other site is KensWoodCentral.com

Anthony Yakonick
05-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Thanks all I'll check it out. Tom I live in Collegeville.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-01-2003, 8:56 PM
Wow! I went to PowerWeb's site to check it out and and they have quadrupled their price over what Ken is paying.\ to 29.95 a month. Even with the free domain registration for a year it is way more than I want to pay. My ISP has a hosting service for $10.00 a month plus a $19.95 set up fee special. Of course I have to get my domain name registered. What is the best place to do that

Jim Becker
06-01-2003, 9:15 PM
Originally posted by Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
Wow! My ISP has a hosting service for $10.00 a month plus a $19.95 set up fee special. Of course I have to get my domain name registered. What is the best place to do that

The service I use (and mentioned in a post above) will do your domain registration for $9.95 and provide basic hosting for $9.95/mo. There is no setup fee. Their plan comparison chart is located at http://myhosting.com/comparison_shared.htm .

I'm not referencing them specifically as the best place to go, but merely to illustrate that there are better deals going than with your ISP. If you use your ISP for your hosting...changing ISPs becomes a real issue.

But also be careful, there are any number of "bad apples" out there in hosting land. Pick one of those recommended by folks you "know" as that service probably is reputable.

06-02-2003, 12:43 PM
I've noticed a difference in band width among hosts. Some are in the 10 to 15 range and ohers are 45 or higher. How does that impact site visitors?

Jim Becker
06-02-2003, 1:29 PM
I've noticed a difference in band width among hosts. Some are in the 10 to 15 range and ohers are 45 or higher. How does that impact site visitors?

The connectivity that your hosting service has the Internet will definitely impact the performance of your site. Desireable features include multiple points of contact to the Internet at high bandwidth, such as DS3 (45 MBPS) for each connection. "Where" they connect can also impact performance...if they are attached to a mainstream ISP that has peering relationships with the other large ISPs, performance generally will be better.

Ken Salisbury
06-02-2003, 2:25 PM
Wow! I went to PowerWeb's site to check it out and and they have quadrupled their price over what Ken is paying.\ to 29.95 a month. Even with the free domain registration for a year it is way more than I want to pay. My ISP has a hosting service for $10.00 a month plus a $19.95 set up fee special. Of course I have to get my domain name registered. What is the best place to do that

Don --- I don't know where you looked --- I just checked their web site and they still have 500mb web site hosting for $7.95 with free set-up (provided you pay yearly).
<p align="center">
iPower Web Hosting (http://www.ipowerweb.com)

06-02-2003, 9:58 PM
Ken, I notice the link you gave is "iPower Web Hosting" I went to "Power Web.com" which is a different host. I also went to "PowWeb.com" which is another one. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and compare.

Keith Outten
06-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Web site hosting like everything else in this world falls into the "You get what you pay for" category.

The last time I checked a 45 megabit connection to a nationwide backbone cost about $17,000.00 per month just for the bandwidth. The monthly fee for the circuit I don't know about but you would have to host over 2100 web sites at $7.95 just to pay for the bandwidth alone. Other issues involve how many sites are physically hosted on a server, how many servers share the bandwidth and what operating systems are used come into play. If your host provides 500 megabytes of drive space imagine the cost of owning, operating and replacing hard drives for 2100 sites. Also remember that this doesn't even consider labor costs, circuit fees, office expenses, taxes, profit and other overhead.

My 2cents - Inexpensive hosting is great for web sites that are not mission critical (Fun Sites). If you depend on your web site to promote your business or use E-Commerce solutions don't select a host based on price. The cost of quality hosting is very inexpensive when you consider all of the other costs associated with running a business. Annual web hosting fees are often less expensive than Yellow Page ads or even a three day ad in a local newspaper.

If you believe all of the advertisements on the web you are bound to be disappointed and experience nothing but frustration...much like buying an inferior tool. I have been running web servers for eight years as an ISP, my comments in this case are not second hand knowledge.

Shop Wisely Grasshopper

Charlie Stein
06-03-2003, 1:36 AM
Hi Anthony;
I have had Network Solutions for the last year, I'm very satified with the service that I received when I set up my site.
They gave me over 100 pages to pick a format from,it is fairly cheep, cost me $ 84.00 a year that works out to $ 7.00 a month.
If you want a mail box it is $ 5.00 a month more.
Take a look at mine if you want.
www.c-b-woodpeckershop.com :) ;)
From
C & B Woodpecker Shop
Charlie

Jim Becker
06-03-2003, 8:53 AM
Originally posted by Keith Outten
Web site hosting like everything else in this world falls into the "You get what you pay for" category.

Very, very good advise, Keith.

Tom Sweeney
06-03-2003, 12:05 PM
I have a little experience with this stuff - not as much as Kieth or probably Jim & others but enough. I have designed, administered & arranged hosting for over 20 web sites, I also worked at an ISP for a short while.

I personally experienced a very rough time due to picking a web host for several clients based on price alone. I think I posted about this in a previous answer here. I think Kieth is definately correct - if your web site is not "mission critical" go for a cheap host - but back up your web site & make sure you are the registrant & administrative contact for your domain name (very important).

2 - and & I don't mean to offend anyone with my next 2 points - it is simply my opinion.

I have had too many horrible experiences with Network Solutions (Verisign) to ever give them another dime of my hard earned money. If you are happy with them by all means stay with them.

I personally would not host my personal web site with an offshore company - especially one based in China. Many of the recent virus & black hat hacker problems originated in China & Southeast Asia. Plus there is no way you could convince me that any data sent through a server in China would be secure - again if it is not critical & you don't need security then fine go for it - personally I wouldn't.

If you use your web site for your livelyhood I would highly recommend doing a lot of research before signing with a hosting company. If it is a hobby site then I think you have a lot more lattitude in making a decision on hosting companies.

This advice is worth what you paid for it ;) Most of my clients don't listen to me on this issue either - they always go for the cheap hosting :rolleyes:

Keith Outten
06-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Tom,

Your right about everyone selecting the cheap hosting companies. Soon they will be the only ones left in business, the prices will rise and the quality will still be cheap.

Remember that if you select a host in a foreign country that some Internet Providers have been known to block whole countries when spam gets out of hand. If your web site is in one of these countries it will not be accessible to anyone outside of the country that hosts your site. Your email will be blocked as well.

Often 90% of the spam originates from just one country.