PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift for 9mo

John Hollander
12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
My wife really wants me to make a woodworking present for our 9mo nefew. I'm looking for some ideas on something I can complete before Christmas. Extra cudos if you have plans. Anybody have any suggestion?

Ellen Benkin
12-03-2014, 1:15 PM
For some newborns in my family I made small benches of different designs. No fancy joinery was used. One was an homage to the drywall screw but I did plug the holes. According to the parents, the kids love them. They can sit on them (when they can sit) and they use them to stand on for tooth brushing (when they can do that). Later on they can be used as horizontal surfaces for toys. Both were made from scrap wood and I was careful to use non-toxic finishes to keep the parents happy. I personalized, dated, and signed them, too.

Matt Day
12-03-2014, 1:48 PM
My seven month old son will put just about anything in his mouth, so keep that in mind. A set of building blocks might be a good idea, just of course be sure to make them big enough so they are not a choking hazard (if I can fit inside a toilet paper roll it is a choking hazard). A simple set, just some cubes and rectangles. My two-year-old daughter still plays with basic wooden blocks and likes to stack them up as high as you can.

David Masters
12-03-2014, 3:13 PM
It's a little early for a 9 month old, but as soon as they could stand up, our grandchildren would use a small chair that they can crawl into and sit down in. In fact we had to make two to keep them from fighting over the chair. We ended up getting two child-sized Adirondack style chairs that they still use two years later.

Kent A Bathurst
12-03-2014, 3:43 PM
My wife really wants me to make a woodworking present for our 9mo nefew. I'm looking for some ideas on something I can complete before Christmas. Extra cudos if you have plans. Anybody have any suggestion?

1. THe kid won't know he got a present
2. The kid won't know when Chrsitmas actually is
3. Envelope with a certificate for a crib in it

In sum - short notice for something that he won't use, unless..........

One of those wooden toy trucks, trains with a rope to pull it with................

Lee Schierer
12-03-2014, 6:47 PM
Simple wooden toys with wheels or other moving parts are usually hit with kids. Take a look at the "Great All American Wooden Toy Book" for ideas like these:

Ralph Okonieski
12-03-2014, 9:15 PM
I've made my Grand children a step stool. It has two steps with the top step having a lid for storage. The sides have cutout for hands when moving. If I can find a pic, I'll post it.

I routed their initials on the back to personalize.

Scott Brandstetter
12-03-2014, 9:31 PM
I agree with Lee, simple wooden toys. I made my 9 month old grandson a race car and airplane last year. At the end of the day I think it was more for my wife and daughter, but, you know how that goes. This year is even more fun, making a "lincoln log" set, rocking horse, and race track with flip cars. My little buddy is going to be happy.

Post a picture of what you end up with.

Paolo Trevisan
12-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Wooden toys. Or a Christmas oranment