PDA

View Full Version : Kreg infomercial

Bill Orbine
12-03-2014, 7:30 AM
I saw on TV this morning a 1/2 hour Kreg Infomercial this morning. What they've done is put together a starter kit consisting of rip cut saw guide, shelf hole jig, and simple pocket screw jig together with a number of plans " A SEVENTY DOLLAR VALUE FOR FREE" and tool guide....a "TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR VALUE for THRE EASY PAYMENTS OF THIRTY THREE THIRTY THREE".

I've always hated the infomercials, but I can say this is the first time I've enjoyed one..:rolleyes:

Matt Day
12-03-2014, 7:42 AM
I've seen parts of that too. I think everything's better when it's woodworking related!

Chris Monroe
12-03-2014, 12:23 PM
The Kreg jig is one of the things that helped get me into woodworking.

Peter Quinn
12-03-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm a professional in commercial shop with a very varied repertoire. One week I'm making heirloom furniture, next week I'm banging out things that look like motel furnishings. I have my preferences, the most important one end of day is feeding my family. I probably do more wood working in a week than some guys do in 6 months, plenty of 80 hour 7 day weeks this year, and pocket screws are definetly part of the program as much as my dovetail saw, hand planes and scrapers. I don't have the luxury of being arrogant....though sometimes instill am! So open your heart to the pocket screw, it's just waiting to be your friend!

Bill White
12-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Kreg certainly did not gain prominence by building and selling useless junk for a hobby shop.
Pocket holes have a place and a use. I'm glad that I have one of the original aluminum jigs.
Bill

Jim Rimmer
12-03-2014, 1:26 PM
I have a Kreg jig. They have their use and place. Certainly not for fine furniture but a very useful joint.

My, how far afield we have gone from the OP.

Rick Potter
12-03-2014, 1:38 PM
Meanwhile, back at the subject.....Lowes has this three piece kit on display right now. I did not notice if it had plans in it, but it was priced at about $99, which is a savings of about $5 over buying the three tools separately.

Looks like it could be a real deal when they put them on close out, like they often do.

Rick P

PS: I have one of the original ones also. Drilled over a thousand holes with it when I built my old kitchen 15+ years ago.

Chris Padilla
12-03-2014, 1:47 PM
I'll have to catch the infomercial...any idea on what channel you caught it on? THAT would be a fun one to watch. I LOVE my Kreg jig. It is great for quickie, knock-down jigs, boxes and all sorts of other things. A great tool to have and yeah, it does hang nicely on the wall out of the way but easy to grab and use.

mike holden
12-03-2014, 3:34 PM
Pictures in the book "Master Craftsmen of Newport" show that the Townsend/Goddard family of cabinetmakers used pocket screws.

I believe that one of their tea tables sold for 8.6 million dollars not too long ago.
Mike

glenn bradley
12-03-2014, 4:59 PM
Pictures in the book "Master Craftsmen of Newport" show that the Townsend/Goddard family of cabinetmakers used pocket screws.
I believe that one of their tea tables sold for 8.6 million dollars not too long ago.
Mike

How dare you show that piece of crudely designed and assembled garbage on a site where we are discussing Fine Furniture :D:D:D. Pocket holes instead of shop made table clips!?! Blasphemy.

Just goes to show us all (again), there's more than one way to skin the cat :).

Bill Orbine
12-03-2014, 7:08 PM
I'll have to catch the infomercial...any idea on what channel you caught it on? THAT would be a fun one to watch. I LOVE my Kreg jig. It is great for quickie, knock-down jigs, boxes and all sorts of other things. A great tool to have and yeah, it does hang nicely on the wall out of the way but easy to grab and use.

Chris, I believe it was the FYI channel.... Because I was watching American Restoration the night before. When I popped on the TV next morning, the Kreg infomercial was running. The FYI channel was showing re-runs from what used to show on the History channel.

John McClanahan
12-03-2014, 7:37 PM
In my area, PBS runs a Delta/Kreg infomercial on Saturday mornings. Its called The American Woodshop.

John

Mark Bolton
12-03-2014, 8:02 PM
In my area, PBS runs a Delta/Kreg infomercial on Saturday mornings. Its called The American Woodshop.

John

Oh man.. priceless.. wow.. perfect. The guy is a walking prostitute.

Tony Haukap
12-03-2014, 8:12 PM
In my area, PBS runs a Delta/Kreg infomercial on Saturday mornings. Its called The American Woodshop.LOL!! You haven't seen the new ones - Powermatic is now thrown into the mix.

Bruce Wrenn
12-03-2014, 9:34 PM
Just goes to show us all (again), there's more than one way to skin the cat :).Is that the same as removing the hairy outer covering from a feline?