PDA

View Full Version : Jet Parallel Clamp Quality

Austin Grote
12-02-2014, 9:24 PM
I just bought some Jet clamps online, the Black Friday half price sale.

I haven`t bought any clamps in several years, so I was expecting the same clamps as the older ones I bought years ago...

Very dissapointed in the quality of these clamps, the threaded parts look like el cheapo pot metal, and the threads are the ugliest I have ever seen.

I`m glad I didn`t pay full price for these things, and I`m glad I already own several dozen clamps, if this is the quality that is out there now...

Matt Day
12-02-2014, 9:56 PM
I just got mine today too. I didn't do a total side by side to my other Jets, but they look the same. I got a chance to use them today too and they worked well, but I think just a bit sticky just bc they're brand new.
I got mine from Acme Tool and am happy. No Affiliation yada yada.

glenn bradley
12-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Don't look now but, Jet clamps aren't the only thing not made as well as it used to be.

David Weaver
12-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Don't look now but, Jet clamps aren't the only thing not made as well as it used to be.

That's very true. Unfortunately, they have gone way up in price at the same time.

I wish none of these big third world clamps had been developed, they sucked the market away from the clamps that are nice to use - the original german bessey k body.

Patrick Curry
12-03-2014, 2:05 AM
Purchased 4 of the 40" variety.
The release triggers seem to be an issue. They don't glide well at the moment. Hopefully they'll break in or can be adjusted

Scott Vigder
12-03-2014, 9:59 AM

The "lowest-bid" mentality couple with planned obsolescence is killing manufacturing worldwide.

Reinis Kanders
12-03-2014, 3:43 PM
I had some with bad triggers from last years black friday. I was able to get replacements, but it took till spring to get them.

Austin Grote
12-03-2014, 4:55 PM
The "lowest-bid" mentality couple with planned obsolescence is killing manufacturing worldwide.

It`s not killing manufacturing, manufacturing is booming, but much of it is like these clamps, low tech items made at rock bottom price and quality, but the parent company doesn`t cut the price when he ships manufacturing to these places, does he? Oh well, rant over.

I really did like those old Jet clamps too...

Fooled me once...

Never again will I buy any clamps sight unseen.

John Coloccia
12-03-2014, 5:09 PM
I got mine several years ago. For the release "trigger" to work properly, you need to squeeze it and then pull up a bit. Then, it will slide well. I received mine for free because I bought a couple of machines. Honestly, I think mine are pretty decent. Not really quite as nice as Besseys, but I have to say that as far as functionality, the Jets may actually be the best I've used, including Bessey. I think Bessey has since revamped their clamps, so maybe they're top dog, now.

Hunter Locke
12-03-2014, 5:25 PM
If you don't like them, I'll take them! I have none yet :cool:

Austin Grote
12-03-2014, 7:27 PM
Old on left.301497301498

John Coloccia
12-03-2014, 7:38 PM
Mine appear to be old style. When did you buy yours?

Austin Grote
12-03-2014, 9:21 PM
Mine appear to be old style. When did you buy yours?

The clamp on the left is about 5 years old, the clamp on the right arrived at my front porch on Dec 2.

John Coloccia
12-03-2014, 9:41 PM
The clamp on the left is about 5 years old, the clamp on the right arrived at my front porch on Dec 2.

Sounds about right. Mine are just about 6 or 7 years old, or so. Even the quality of the casting has gone down the tubes. I wonder when they made the change? I really just don't get it. Those stupid clamps where one of the last things I could recommend from Jet. That's fine. For every piece of junk some older, established company makes, there's someone else that's filling the void with quality tools. Sanders, bandsaws, routers, table saws, clamps. You name it.

Except a decent woodworking drill press, with a proper split head and real quill lock. Still, no one has stepped up here, that I know of, anyhow.

Sean Walker
12-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I got some last year during their sale, but normally only buy bessey clamps. I really dislike the Jet's that I received. They don't slide smooth and often stick. I decided to not buy any this year and from the looks, i'm glad I didn't. I will be sticking with Bessey clamps.

Matt Day
12-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Here's a pic of mine. New on the left. Look just like Austins.

Other than some minor sticking, I don't notice any difference. The threads were obviously cut differently, but they turn just as smooth. I'm happy with them so far, especially at 50% off.

Rick Fisher
12-04-2014, 2:55 AM
John makes a good point. As the old favorites sell out to Chinese manufacturing, some local feller sees opportunity. Companies like Lie Nielsen are a great example. Bad Axe tools etc.

Glad I bought my Bessys already.

Chris Parks
12-04-2014, 4:12 AM

Driven by a retail buying population that has mentality of no buying except in sales, lowest price possible etc. Put simply the buyer is pushing quality out the door and soon to be forgotten. The companies who refuse to play this game also get criticised and ostracised very heavily which is a shame.

John Coloccia
12-04-2014, 6:06 AM
John makes a good point. As the old favorites sell out to Chinese manufacturing, some local feller sees opportunity. Companies like Lie Nielsen are a great example. Bad Axe tools etc.

Glad I bought my Bessys already.

Same thing happened in the guitar industry. Prices from Fender and Gibson absolutely skyrocketed, and quality (especially from Gibson) is in the toilet. It's working out just fine for about a zillion smaller guitar companies and boutique builders. Fender and Gibson has made it possible for the small builder to make a living by pricing mediocre, or worse, guitars at just about the same as you could buy from a small builder that will deliver a world class instrument. There's been a renaissance of guitar building, and I believe we're in the golden age of guitars at the moment. It's never been better, and it's working out well for musicians and builders alike.

Other than nostalgia, I really couldn't give 2 hoots if all of these old companies went out of business. I didn't feel that way a few years ago, but it's hard to ignore the race to the bottom. Often times the quality is perhaps marginally better than you might get from Grizzly or Harbor Freight, if that, even though you paid a premium for a better brand. There are plenty of alternatives to choose from today.

Matt Day
12-04-2014, 8:47 AM
From Jet clamp quality to the horror of the low bid/low price mentality... in how many posts?

How about we talk about how the new Jet clamps actually work in practice rather than just what they look like or where they were manufactured?

John Coloccia
12-04-2014, 9:25 AM
I just got mine today too. I didn't do a total side by side to my other Jets, but they look the same. I got a chance to use them today too and they worked well, but I think just a bit sticky just bc they're brand new.
I got mine from Acme Tool and am happy. No Affiliation yada yada.

Purchased 4 of the 40" variety.
The release triggers seem to be an issue. They don't glide well at the moment. Hopefully they'll break in or can be adjusted

I had some with bad triggers from last years black friday. I was able to get replacements, but it took till spring to get them.

I got some last year during their sale, but normally only buy bessey clamps. I really dislike the Jet's that I received. They don't slide smooth and often stick. I decided to not buy any this year and from the looks, i'm glad I didn't. I will be sticking with Bessey clamps.

Here's a pic of mine. New on the left. Look just like Austins.

Other than some minor sticking, I don't notice any difference. The threads were obviously cut differently, but they turn just as smooth. I'm happy with them so far, especially at 50% off.

From Jet clamp quality to the horror of the low bid/low price mentality... in how many posts?

How about we talk about how the new Jet clamps actually work in practice rather than just what they look like or where they were manufactured?

Isn't that what we're doing?

Peter Aeschliman
12-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Driven by a retail buying population that has mentality of no buying except in sales, lowest price possible etc. Put simply the buyer is pushing quality out the door and soon to be forgotten. The companies who refuse to play this game also get criticised and ostracised very heavily which is a shame.

I wrote a very similar reply to this thread yesterday and decided to delete it.

100% agree. This thread is a great example of this. We have even have a "holiday" in the US called black friday, that is all about buying the consumer goods at the lowest possible prices. But while maintaining the expectations that quality should be reasonably high. I mean no disrespect, but it's important that we are aware of the cause and effect relationship here. Businesses exist to sell things to consumers at a profit. If consumers respond best to low prices/low quality rather than higher prices/higher quality, and businesses need to make a profit, quality is going to be sacrificed.

A few adages come to mind:
-you get what you pay for
-ain't no free lunch
-vote with your wallet

Like I said, I mean no disrespect to anybody here. The OP had the expectation that these would be the same clamps he bought before, and they weren't, so I can understand the reaction. I would probably be frustrated too. But if we step back, I think we will agree that there's irony here.

Duane Meadows
12-04-2014, 1:20 PM
I wrote a very similar reply to this thread yesterday and decided to delete it.

100% agree. This thread is a great example of this. We have even have a "holiday" in the US called black friday, that is all about buying the consumer goods at the lowest possible prices. But while maintaining the expectations that quality should be reasonably high. I mean no disrespect, but it's important that we are aware of the cause and effect relationship here. Businesses exist to sell things to consumers at a profit. If consumers respond best to low prices/low quality rather than higher prices/higher quality, and businesses need to make a profit, quality is going to be sacrificed.

A few adages come to mind:
-you get what you pay for
-ain't no free lunch
-vote with your wallet

Like I said, I mean no disrespect to anybody here. The OP had the expectation that these would be the same clamps he bought before, and they weren't, so I can understand the reaction. I would probably be frustrated too. But if we step back, I think we will agree that there's irony here.

It's one thing if they were made to a lower price point for the "black Friday" sale. Yet another if they had been ordered say a week before at full price. I am assuming they would have still been the same lower quality, could be wrong.. doubt it though!

Matt Day
12-04-2014, 1:35 PM
It's one thing if they were made to a lower price point for the "black Friday" sale. Yet another if they had been ordered say a week before at full price. I am assuming they would have still been the same lower quality, could be wrong.. doubt it though!

That's a good point, I wonder how long these black Friday clamps have been in production? since they appear to be the same ones that were sold at last year's Black Friday sale, I'm guessing at least a couple of years. Does anyone have any clamps that were bought six months ago that look like the old ones?

Matt Day
12-04-2014, 1:37 PM
Isn't that what we're doing?

Yes and no. I am not going to quote all of the comments about where these clamps were made and the fall of American manufacturing and our buying practices.

Dave Zellers
12-04-2014, 2:19 PM
I think it's interesting that everyone likes to point out the difference in the threads (the same thing happened last year), but the complaints are not about the threads!

I think Jet just came up with a cheaper way to make the threads and they work just fine. The stickiness is a separate issue.

Mine from last year's sale are the new style and some are sticky and some aren't. I've never been bothered enough to investigate ways of improving them. Some of my 4 year old Jet parallel clamps are sticky too.

Never had any Besseys so I know nothing about the good old days re parallel clamps. :)

David Weaver
12-04-2014, 4:56 PM
Other than nostalgia, I really couldn't give 2 hoots if all of these old companies went out of business

Neither could I! Gibson kalamazoo and montana were the only places I had any desire to have. The rest of it was a business machine (not that montana wasn't, I guess).

Gibson nailed me on a defective reissue SG, but I was a beginner of sorts buying expensive guitars back then and waited a couple of years to take it to a dealer, and Gibson said then that they had no inclination to believe I didn't damage it (it was a case queen). the neck was the shape of an S and the lower register frets were filed almost to the finger boards on fret 1-4. Someone saw the problem, figured it was good enough, it had no sustain in the upper registered, as if you were picking with a felt pick.......and some guy on ebay bought it from me on a straight up auction for $611. I thought he was crazy, but he was delighted to have the guitar for that price...

....everyone I know who has bought several gibson guitars has at least one story like that.

I hope the smaller guitar makers take over. Gibson tried to put banjo makers out of business for a little while (that's my interpretation of it with truss rod cover threats, etc, and suggestions that certain banjo styles were suddenly protected), jacked up the prices of their bluegrass instruments to the moon and then promptly stopped making them. Who are they in business for? Jeez.

No real opinion of Fender, they're mostly kit style guitars....I never had a great one without upgrading stuff, but never a bad one, either.

David Weaver
12-04-2014, 4:58 PM
Never had any Besseys so I know nothing about the good old days re parallel clamps. :)

Just a little more finesse to use in a hurry, but like the difference between using a chisel vs. using a chisel against a finicky guide block. Once you get it, it's intuitive, and they're fairly light weight and quick (the besseys). The dumb thumb on the jets is always in the way. Always. There's no looking away and just flinging it wide open.

John Coloccia
12-04-2014, 5:51 PM
No real opinion of Fender, they're mostly kit style guitars....I never had a great one without upgrading stuff, but never a bad one, either.

Fender makes a decent guitar, and their quality has actually gone up in recent years, in my opinion. Their basic American Standard Tele is nearly $1300! That's the same Tele that I bought new in 1989 for...let's see...$500, I think. Now alright, it's been over 20 years, but it's nearly tripled in price and it's nothing special. It's a factory guitar, built well, but it's going to need a full setup and nut work. For $1600, you can buy a new guitar from Ron Kirn, and it will blow away that factory Telecaster in every way. But still, the US built Fenders are quite nice and I wouldn't tell anyone to steer clear. It's just that their price points and simple construction have wandered into small builder territory.

Gibson, forget about. I steer people towards Ibanez, PRS and even Epiphone, because when they come into my shop brand new, they need less work to get playing well. A new, Les Paul standard starts at $2600! That's not even for a nice top. Start adding a couple of options like a decent top, and the price skyrockets to well over $3000, or more. My oh my, there are a LOT of small builders that can make a very, very nice guitar in the $2600 to $4000 range, and they will all put the factory Gibson to shame. You could get an Ernie Ball/Music Man guitar. They're a factory and their quality is impeccable. I really don't know why Gibson seems to have so many problems.

Anyhow, there's a lot of work that goes into building a guitar. They SHOULD cost some bucks because it takes a lot to get them built and playing well, but when you charge boutique prices for so-so work (or worse), then the door opens for little guys. I don't think we're hurting Gibson or Fender much, though! :) They have more guitars hanging in my local Guitar Center than I'll build in my entire lifetime.

Dan Rude
12-04-2014, 9:12 PM
I haven't received mine yet. Last year I thought I had ordered 2 Jet Clamps on Amazon from the link. I kept them boxed until Father's day, opened it and only had one. The quality was the same as my old ones, so I will have to wait and see. Dan

Chris Monroe
12-05-2014, 9:16 AM
I just got my clamps last week, the first parallel clamps I've had. The first thing I noticed was the threads, as I assumed the threads would be real Acme threads. This appears to be some sort of hybrid thread. Although apparently the same diameter and pitch, the threads lack the deep tooth that traditional Acme thread form has. The smaller contact area results in higher contact pressure on the thread face, which over time and depending on how heavily they are used, would result in the thread face galling. I already see that happening on my Harbor Freight clamps. Yes, they are lower quality and they have a machine thread vs an Acme-style thread, but the concept is the same.

I'd bet the change is to lower manufacturing cost. The real Acme threads on the old clamps require machining from a larger diameter rod. The new threads appear to be rolled to near-net shape and then cleaned up on a lathe.

Bottom line, I'm sure I will enjoy using them, but they haven't met my expectations for a high-end clamp. I'd probably return them if I paid full price.