PDA

View Full Version : Robust Liberty bench-mounted?

Dan Case LR
12-02-2014, 4:51 PM
Every photo of the Robust Liberty lathe that I've seen shows it on the leg set. Does anyone have a Liberty that's bench mounted? I can see the attraction of the leg set, but they only add 70 lb to the weight and I could build a lot of heavy storage for the $500 the legs cost.

Or, is there a good reason why everyone seems to go with the legs?

Thanks!

D.

Reed Gray
12-02-2014, 7:04 PM
Hmm, never thought about it. My first suggestion would be to contact Brent and ask him. The lathe is built on square tubing which is at an angle rather than flat, so that would present problems with mounting it to a standard table top. You could build a pretty beefy cabinet to put it on though. I do have to be able to stand at the end of the lathe for turning bowls, so almost always have the headstock down at the far end. Having room off the end would be necessary for me. I would also want to be able to stand with my body against the bed for some of the work I do.

robo hippy

Jeffrey J Smith
12-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I don't have the Liberty, and was surprised to see they offer a bench model as standard - never seen a photo of one either. I will say that the legs on my AB probably don't add that much weight to the whole, but seem to add to the stability of the lathe tremendously. Don't know if it's the geometry of the legs, or just that they are somewhat short in relation to the whole, but the end result is a very stable platform to turn on. Reed has both I think. I'd defer to his experience with the legs on the Liberty.

Dan Case LR
12-02-2014, 11:27 PM
I was a little surprised to see that Robust offers a bench model, too. However, I suspect it's the best darn bench lathe in all creation.

I spent a week turning on an American Beauty at Arrowmont back in October, and I'm still suffering from Robust withdrawal. I don't have the funds to buy an AB, but if I did, it would already be ordered. I'm considering the Liberty because it has the same DNA with a price tag a little less out-of-reach. I'm selling off excess stuff and socking away every dime I can in my "Robust Fund," but make no mistake about it--if I have an unexpected windfall, I'm getting an American Beauty. But, I could be happy with the Liberty. I just wish I had a feel for how it would work out as a bench mount.

D.

Jason Edwards
12-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Gotta agree with Reed, why don't you call them and ask?

Dave Fritz
12-03-2014, 10:27 AM
I have the Liberty with legs and I love it. First the legs level things up easily. If you move the lathe you just relevel by releasing the screws holding the legs on. I like having the space under the lathe for my feet. Previously I had a Jet 1642 with bags of sand for extra weight on a shelf. I didn't realize how many times that was in my way until I got the Liberty.

Sometimes I have to sit to do sanding etc. The Liberty allows me to get right up to the lathe and work comfortably. It doesn't have much of a footprint really.

Dave Fritz

Joe Bradshaw
12-03-2014, 2:26 PM
I have the Liberty with the leg set. I have not seen the need for more weight. I spent the time required to get it level and it works great. The swing away tailstock holder is great. I don't get to use it much, as my girlfriend has claimed it. She is lusting after a Sweet Sixteen short bed. I hope she gets it soon.
Joe