PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Max ????

Bill Huber
12-02-2014, 3:34 PM
They say it is waterproof, stain-able, paint-able and stronger then the wood.

Open time is 10-15 minutes but the clamp time is 12 hours.

If it is stain-able would that mean that a little squeeze out clean up would not screw up the stain?

michael nicholson
12-03-2014, 8:48 AM
Bill,
I've used it on a couple outdoor projects that are fine after about a year and half. Stainable, I found it came out lighter, so now I let the squeeze out dry, then clean it up with a scraper or chisel. I don't think the open time is 10-15 minutes. I find it dries fast, less then 5 minutes. Depending on application, I clamp it for 45 to 60 minutes then let it dry overnight. It is strong, I haven't broken anything apart yet.

Bill Huber
12-03-2014, 9:12 AM
Bill,
I've used it on a couple outdoor projects that are fine after about a year and half. Stainable, I found it came out lighter, so now I let the squeeze out dry, then clean it up with a scraper or chisel. I don't think the open time is 10-15 minutes. I find it dries fast, less then 5 minutes. Depending on application, I clamp it for 45 to 60 minutes then let it dry overnight. It is strong, I haven't broken anything apart yet.

Thanks, I guess I will just stick with TBIII, that way I only have to have one glue around. TBIII has worked really well for me so I see not need to switch. I was just hoping that it would stain better.

John TenEyck
12-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Bill, I find TB III far better. The Elmer's stuff is way too thick for my liking and when you clamp up it comes oozing out everywhere. The work pieces want to squirm around a lot too. I use it just for gluing the ends of moldings now. At this rate, that bottle is going to last me the rest of my life.

John

keith micinski
12-03-2014, 8:21 PM
Ha I'm the exact opposite. I love elmers because it's thicker and I find it easier to spread and get less squeeze out because my titebond is like water running everywhere.

Ken Frohnert
12-03-2014, 9:01 PM
I have used them both - seem pretty much the same to me.

lowell holmes
12-03-2014, 9:40 PM
Would a few grains of sharp sand in the glue joint stop the squirming?

John TenEyck
12-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Would a few grains of sharp sand in the glue joint stop the squirming?

Maybe, but that seems like a workaround to a problem that shouldn't happen to begin with.

John

Chris Hachet
12-04-2014, 8:41 AM
TB III works well for me, although I go the extra mile and use marine epoxy for outdoor work.

Bill Huber
12-04-2014, 9:10 AM
Ha I'm the exact opposite. I love elmers because it's thicker and I find it easier to spread and get less squeeze out because my titebond is like water running everywhere.

I don't have that much problem with squeeze out now that I am using the Rockler Silicone Glue Brush, it get the glue on better and I find that I now use less glue and don't get the squeeze out I used to.

lowell holmes
12-04-2014, 12:21 PM
It may be a work a round, but if your in the middle of a glue up, it will allow you to finish the glue up your doing.

cody michael
12-05-2014, 8:12 AM
I don't have that much problem with squeeze out now that I am using the Rockler Silicone Glue Brush, it get the glue on better and I find that I now use less glue and don't get the squeeze out I used to.

I just bought one of those brushes, I hope it works good, haven't used it yet

Jim Andrew
12-05-2014, 9:25 AM
I tried some titebond II on a glueup, just to see how waterproof it is. Leaned it against the outside of the shop, and checked it occasionally. Never failed. Finally chucked the piece.

Bill Huber
12-05-2014, 9:26 AM
I just bought one of those brushes, I hope it works good, haven't used it yet

I really like mine, the thing you do have to watch is when you are doing a big glue up with lots of glue is in the brush it will take it a few days to dry.
I just clean it out with water and don't have to wait for 2 days to use it again.

Bill Huber
12-05-2014, 9:37 AM
I tried some titebond II on a glueup, just to see how waterproof it is. Leaned it against the outside of the shop, and checked it occasionally. Never failed. Finally chucked the piece.

I like Titebond III, it has a 10 min. open time compared to II with only 5 min. and as slow as I am I need all the time I can get.

cody michael
12-05-2014, 10:47 AM
ok, thanks I should be trying it out shortly