PDA

View Full Version : Blade Replacement on Delta 14" Band Saw

Russ Hauser
12-02-2014, 3:12 PM
I've had my Delta 14" band saw since 2001 and have replaced the blade numerous times with no problems, now I cannot get the blade to track on the wheels. I have the guides retracted to where they are not in contact with the blade and am following the instructions in the manual but the blade keeps popping off the upper wheel when I turn it by hand. What am I missing?

Russ

Bill Huber
12-02-2014, 3:36 PM
Russ, is this a new blade you are installing?
If so I would say it is a bad weld on the blade.

Myk Rian
12-02-2014, 3:47 PM
Bad blade. Especially if others have been ok.

Howard Acheson
12-02-2014, 3:50 PM
That generally means you have a tracking problem. The first step in adjusting a blade is to put the blade on and then turn the wheel by hand. At the same time, adjust the tracking knob until the blade runs in the center of the tire. Revolve the wheel very slowly and stop turning if it looks like the blade is about to come off. Turn the tracking knob in small increments in the opposite direction until the blade runs in the center. Now turn on the power and again turn the tracking knob to center the blade.

That should do it for you.

Erik Loza
12-02-2014, 4:26 PM
What happens if you fit an older blade on there?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jerry Thompson
12-02-2014, 5:15 PM
Go to YouTube and search for Alex Snodgrass. He ended my BS problems with his demonstration.

Thomas L. Miller
12-03-2014, 2:59 PM
Amen Jerry.
Tom

Russ Hauser
12-05-2014, 1:46 PM
My bad! For some reason during this episode I had loosened the locknut and Wingnut that allows the upper pulley to tilt forward enough to make it impossible to get the blade to track. Once I realized this and retightened the Wingnut and locknut, the blade tracks perfectly.

Russ

Bill Huber
12-05-2014, 1:50 PM
My bad! For some reason during this episode I had loosened the locknut and Wingnut that allows the upper pulley to tilt forward enough to make it impossible to get the blade to track. Once I realized this and retightened the Wingnut and locknut, the blade tracks perfectly.

Russ

It happens to us all..... glad you got things going again.

DOUG ANGEL
12-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Don't feel bad, did the same thing recently on my Jet Band saw!

Russ Hauser
12-07-2014, 4:36 AM
Thanks to all who offered advice, this is a great site.

Russ

Myk Rian
12-07-2014, 9:45 AM

Russ
That isn't a pulley. It's a wheel.

Ted Reischl
12-07-2014, 2:46 PM
Just going to toss something in here. . . .

Years ago I was talking with an old timer (now I are one myself) and telling him about how I adjusted the fence on my bandsaw for blade drift. He looked at me like I had grown a third eye in the center of my forehead.

Then he came over to my shop to show me what that tracking device is really for. Sure, it can be adjusted so that the blade does not just come off the wheel. But he explained that the blade drift can be controlled by adjusting that device with a little more care. I know it sounds crazy, but since those days I no longer have blade drift on the bandsaw if I adjust that tracking device.

Since then I have read numerous articles by "professionals" in various woodworking magazines "explaining" how the set of the teeth causes blade drift, blah, blah, blah. Then we all get to read that the grain causes the drift. Of course, we are all supposed to go out and by various doo dads that allow us to set our fences at whatever angle the blade wants to cut.