PDA

View Full Version : Flowers for Abralon

Prashun Patel
12-02-2014, 2:23 PM
I don't have great pictures here, but I wanted to share my experience with Mirka Abralon foam backed fine abrasives. These are polishing pads that come in grits between 300 and 4000. They're designed to be used wet and with or without a random orbital sander.

This walnut table is finished with a few coats of Waterlox Original Sealer finish. The first couple coats are flooded on, then wiped off after being left to soak in for a couple minutes. The subsequent coats are rubbed on very thin, and then distributed/mostly removed with a clean shop towel. This results in a super thin build.

After two days drying, I used the 6" Abralon pads, starting at 1000 and finishing with 4000. I sprayed water on the surface, and then lightly sanded at a medium speed. The pads (with the lubricant) are soft and gentle enough that they do not cut through the surface. Between each sanding, I wiped the surface clean.

After 4000, I let the surface dry overnight. The next day I buffed the surface with a clean shop towel, and polished on two more very thin coats of Waterlox. This eliminated the dull whitish residual haze, and left a surface that feels as good as any rubbed out surface I've felt.

Anyway, these pads made quick work of the process, conform to minor surface imperfections, and are relatively cheap. So, thought I'd pass on the secret. It's not a formal, grain-filled look, but it's an easy way to a good looking and great-feeling surface.

I've done this process with Watco Teak oil and Arm R Seal as well. It works with any varnish and doesn't require the surface to be cured, just well dried. By 'pre-rubbing' out the surface this way, the sheen is determined by the final two coats of finish - not the abrasive.

Try it for yourself.

John TenEyck
12-02-2014, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the posting Prashun. I've been looking to try Abralon. No reason not to after seeing those beautiful results. I love that unfilled look on walnut. Where's the table going?

John

Jim Rimmer
12-03-2014, 1:52 PM
That is a beautiful finish.

Jim Becker
12-04-2014, 1:58 PM
"Gleaming" for sure! Thanks for this post!

Kent A Bathurst
12-04-2014, 3:15 PM
Very good info, Prashun. I am saving your posts on you finishing of this project for future reference.

But - I have to tell you - the Subject of this thread sounds like a title for a Faulkner novel.

Maybe you want to start your own series:

Flowers for Abralon [but you could rename it Abralon! Abralon!]
As I Lay Dyeing
The Unvarnished
Intruder in the Sawdust
The Riven

Jim Becker
12-04-2014, 6:05 PM
Me thinks the eggnog has been released early this year... :D

Prashun Patel
12-08-2014, 9:36 AM
Your references are better than mine to the Daniel Keyes novel.

Ted Calver
12-08-2014, 11:14 AM
That's a great looking finish, Prashun. When you polish on the last two thin coats are you doing that with the abralon 4000 and a wipe off, or did you mean a hand applied coat padded on like a french polish? It sure comes out beautifully.

Jim Tobias
12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Prashun,
Great looking finish! Great looking tabletop!!
I have recently started trying some Waterlox Original Sealer finish on some small items and also tried the Abralon pads(by hand) as the "rub out".
I'm with you, they're easy to use without cutting through the finish. I don't know if you've tried this, but you can also wash the Abralon pads out and reuse them when they begin to get clogged. They don't clog easily with dust collection on a sander but can eventually clog up some when hand sanding small items. Drop them in some soap and water, gently wash them and let dry. Ready to go again.

Jim

Prashun Patel
12-08-2014, 1:58 PM
Ted, I just hand padded on. To say 'French Polish' is to really overstate my technique, but yes, it's a quick/thin wipe on.

Yes, Jim, I wash my pads out too. I'm frugal by nature, so you can bet I milk 'em till they can't give no more.

Thanks!