PDA

View Full Version : ellsworth video

jared herbert
12-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Hello I have been turning for some time, I have never made a hollow form. My wife is asking me what I would like for Christmas and I am thinking that the Ellsworth video Tips for Turners: Hollow Forms wou ld be something good to have for my library. I know that it has been around for a while and am wondering if it is still timely information or if there is something better that is available? I am of the age [63] where I have most everything I think I need or want so I thought this might be something good. My lathe is a 3520a. I don't really want to invest a lot of money in a captured hollow form turning device so thought this might be a good place to start. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks is advance Jared

Roger Chandler
12-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Hello I have been turning for some time, I have never made a hollow form. My wife is asking me what I would like for Christmas and I am thinking that the Ellsworth video Tips for Turners: Hollow Forms wou ld be something good to have for my library. I know that it has been around for a while and am wondering if it is still timely information or if there is something better that is available? I am of the age [63] where I have most everything I think I need or want so I thought this might be something good. My lathe is a 3520a. I don't really want to invest a lot of money in a captured hollow form turning device so thought this might be a good place to start. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks is advance Jared

I don't have Ellsworth's video on hollowing, however, I learned hollowing from David.........he did a two day event at our club, and his demo on the sequences of hollowing and other items made the process come alive for me. I also purchased hollowing tools from him......his handheld ones [fairly minimal investment.] I would say that getting his video will be a wealth of information for you in beginning to do these types of forms, and especially since you do not want to get a captured setup, and want to do it handheld. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with it!!! Good luck!

Shawn Pachlhofer
12-02-2014, 12:16 PM
^^ I agree

Tom Hartranft
12-02-2014, 12:31 PM
You might want to also take a look at some Lyle Jamieson hollow form youtube tutorials to broaden your hollowing knowledge while awaiting your Ellsworth video. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lyle+on+hollow+form

Tom

Dale Gillaspy
12-02-2014, 2:14 PM
I have Ellsworth's hollowing video. Get it. You can't go wrong. Mike Mahoney's is good, too.

Thom Sturgill
12-02-2014, 8:47 PM
I have David Ellsworth's video (#3), and like Roger our club had David in for two days during which I turned a hollow form under his tutelage. Again like Roger I bought his tools, the 3/8" set during the training session and the larger set later. I'm sure his video will be a help. I plan on buying his other videos too.

Mike Mahoney's video is also good for freehand turning and John Jordan has a somewhat dated video. Both are worth watching.

Hugh Buttrum
12-02-2014, 9:55 PM
First off, I would purchase David Ellsworth's book. Lots of good info and it will tell you how to hollow and how to make your own tools. Around $20 on Amazon.
Find someone in your club who does hollow forms and ask for a demo.
Hugh

Harry Robinette
12-03-2014, 2:02 AM
I put a picture how to on this site about 2 years ago on how to make a hollower with normal shop tools ie: drill press,tap and die set, grinder hack saw. Cost was minimal. This might help.
Harry

Shawn Pachlhofer
12-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Harry - a link to that "how to" would be helpful

jared herbert
12-03-2014, 1:00 PM
I agree about the link, I would like to see this setup The minimal cost part appeals to everyone.

Paul Saffold
12-03-2014, 4:03 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179165-Home-Made-Monster-Cutters

Is this the one Harry?