12-02-2014, 7:02 AM
My son will shortley be going on a ski trip with his school

My question

Can anyone please provide advice on purchase of ski staps

regards

Brian

Jim Matthews
12-02-2014, 7:06 AM
Do you mean climbing skins, or something to hold skis to a car roof?

Jon Nuckles
12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Or the old straps used to keep skis from zooming down the mountain when they came off? If that, they were made obsolete by the brakes that engage when the bindings release. For some reason, many ski areas still insist on a strap for snowboarders despite the fact that snowboard bindings don't release when you fall.

Wade Lippman
12-02-2014, 10:26 AM
I am going to guess you mean straps to hold them together to carry. In that case you can't beat a bag. However, just to keep them together... duck tape works well.

Bob Coleman
12-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Telemark skis use straps with clips that attach the ski to your boot, since teles don't have brakes.

I've always found that brakes hold alpine skis together well enough for carrying short distances (car --> lift, etc)

Cross country skis are a PIA due to the camber - use the hold 'em together straps for those.

Wade Lippman
12-02-2014, 4:16 PM
Cross country skis are a PIA due to the camber - use the hold 'em together straps for those.
For XC I like these:
http://www.akers-ski.com/product/754.html
Actually I bought 2 pair 35 years ago; I am a bit surprised they are still being made.
They don't work well for downhill; too wide and thick.

Off course, we have no idea what the OP is looking for.

Stan Calow
12-02-2014, 7:03 PM
There are straps that leash your skis to legs so that you don't lose them when you fall and they come off, especially in powder. We called them powder straps. That might be what was meant.

Brian Deakin
12-03-2014, 5:30 AM
A huge thank you for the suuggestions and advice

The straps I needed were to hold the skis together and I have decided to purchase simple velcro staps

regards Brian