PDA

View Full Version : 42SS Saw Set

lowell holmes
12-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't understand the adjustable stop on the 42SS Stanley Saw Set.

It appears to be for adjusting the set to accommodate various saw plate thickness. The geometry of the plunger, anvil, and stop
does not appear to be effective. I assume it is to provide a point to hold the plate while the plunger sets the tooth against the anvil.

I am working on a 10 ttpi rip saw (as Tage Frid suggested). I have some how acquired three (3), (that's right 3) of the Stanley sets over a
number of years. Don't ask because I really don't remember. Apparently when I saw one I suppose I bought it. I know I am the only
would be woodowrker to have done this.

Any way, when the anvil is set at 10, the set of the teeth is not changed. Obviously I need to change the anvil to 8 and try again.
During this effort, I can't bring the stop out far enough be effective.

Can anyone help me with this?

Since I posted this, I went back to the shop and changed the position of the anvil to 8. I was able to set the teeth then. I guess I answered my own question.

Jim Koepke
12-01-2014, 12:48 PM
At first it seemed like this was about a different Stanley 42 type saw set. Then I realized its about a model SS.

I used to have a lot of saw sets. Sold most of them off and now have two 42Xs in my accumulation.

One has the tip filed for small teeth.

jtk

Judson Green
12-01-2014, 2:54 PM
Dug this up, hope it helps. The links on that page might be of use to you. I have a 42x and don't have any experience with any other sets.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?16498-Question-about-saw-sets

lowell holmes
12-01-2014, 2:55 PM
Upon closer examination, one of my saw sets is a Stanley 42. The other 2 are 42SS. I also have a Taintor and a 1960's Stanley saw set that was my Dad's.
It's not as nice as the old ones,but it does appear to be operational. I know he used it.

Tom M King
12-01-2014, 8:29 PM
The number is supposed to be for the number of teeth per inch, but don't be concerned with that. Set to the amount of offset you want. Start with less. It's easier to add, than bend back. Don't do the whole saw to start with. Just look at a couple of teeth on the end, and adjust accordingly. I used one of those for a long time, until I saw my first 42X.

lowell holmes
12-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'll play with them tomorrow.