PDA

View Full Version : SS Tech Question

Mike Cozad
12-01-2014, 4:56 AM
In another thread that I didn't want to hijack, it was mentioned that if the SS technology legislation passes it will make selling a table saw illegal. Hopefully without this becoming a politcal debate or SS flaming, is that really a possibility for saws on the secondary market? I'm going to purchase a slider sometime in the future, and will need to sell my current saw. So I am just curious about the direction this is really headed.....

Judson Green
12-01-2014, 8:00 AM
Can't image the law wouldn't be grandfathered in. Meaning used market will be the same as it ever was.

You can still buy and legally drive a car without seatbelts so long as it predates the seatbelt law.

PS at first I thought this was about Nazi tech :rolleyes:

glenn bradley
12-01-2014, 8:42 AM
Hmmm, can you still buy a 1959 Triumph Spitfire or a 1955 Chevy Apache step-side pickup truck with no set belts? I think we'll be OK.

Jamie Buxton
12-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Can't image the law wouldn't be grandfathered in. Meaning used market will be the same as it ever was.

You can still buy and legally drive a car without seatbelts so long as it predates the seatbelt law.

I thought it was about stainless steel.
Why do posters on an electronic forum abbreviate terms like this? It's not like you're saving typewriter ribbon or something. We have an infinite amount of bits.

Wade Lippman
12-01-2014, 12:02 PM

You can't legally used cribs that don't meet current requirements. I suppose it is obvious if cars have seat belts or not, but it may not be obvious if they have SS tech or if the bars are spaced properly.
But I didn't even know there was such a law, so I have no idea what it says about old saws.

John Coloccia
12-01-2014, 12:19 PM
The law was stopped cold in California a couple of years back. No offense to my California Creeker friends, but if they can't cram it through there, I don't think there's much chance of passing it nationally.

DOUG ANGEL
12-02-2014, 10:39 AM
I was in LA on a company trip, staying in a high priced hotel for 3 days. I thought I was in a foreign country! The hotel was so PC, you couldn't get a decent breakfast. Every thing on offer was "healthy" or "good for you". Very happy to get home for some breakfast tacos, and decent steak for dinner. California should secede from the rest of us sane people. No offense meant to California folks, but PC drives me nuts.

Kent A Bathurst
12-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Coffee on the monitor :D:D:D

Thank you.

I'm here all week.

Remember to tip your waitress.

Keith Hankins
12-02-2014, 11:07 AM
I think you are dealing with a straw man argument. To contain your direction based on a fear of a future event that would be a mistake IMO. Who knows what the future holds. I don't see it happening on a full scale, now they may mandate that future saws have some type of safety tool, and the patent won't last forever. If you want your saw go get it, but don't fret about something you don't have control over.

Roy Turbett
12-02-2014, 2:53 PM
When I was doing nationwide Craigslist searches last week on "Sawstop", the most common mention is in ads trying to sell a saw that has been replaced with a Sawstop. Many of the ads mention that they were forced to make the switch by their workmans comp and liability insurance carriers. I don't think its too far of a stretch to think that this may eventually creep into the homeowners insurance market. A similar example is restrictions some insurance policies have in regard to owing a large breed dog. Doesn't mean you can't own a large dog. Just that you may have to pay more for your insurance.