PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive for mirrored acrylic, like for mirrored license plates

Amy Shelton
11-30-2014, 2:29 PM
I've searched and can't find a definitive answer.

I want to glue small and large pieces of laser cut mirrored acrylic onto a larger piece of mirrored acrylic.
It's for a license plate that must be durable outdoors. The customer wants raised letters.

I have the Tesa tape someone had recommended to glue thin engraving plastic to license frames, but it doesn't seem to have the strength I need... plus it wouldn't be easy to apply.

I have used E6000 clear glue, and it sticks well, but after a while, little dips/variations show up where the glue is. I am sure the chemicals in it are eating into the mirrored coating.

I thought about mirror mastic, like from the big box stores, but I think it doesn't come in clear.

Do you have any recommendations of what kind to use?

Thanks!
Amy

Joe Pelonio
11-30-2014, 3:20 PM
Loctite mirror adhesive dries clear, and I have seen it at Home Depot.

Amy Shelton
11-30-2014, 3:54 PM
Great! Thanks, Joe! I'll look for it.

Kev Williams
12-01-2014, 3:58 PM
As for tape:

http://www.brontapes.com/product/bt-3869-double-coated-pvc-tapes/ ---I've been buying this for years. Not once ever have I had, or heard of, this stuff failing. I save my used self-stick postage label 'slick-backs' for when I need to cut shapes out of the tape, I just apply some to the slickback and laser cut the tape...

For something other than tape:

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/adhesive.jpg

-- 3 years ago I used some of this stuff to glue the edges of a 10' x 12' sheet of EPDM rubber roofing to the fiberglass roof on our houseboat. I expected it to be a temporary fix, but 3 summer and winters later exposed to full weather and it's still holding like the day after I used it. I also used this to glue up some broken fittings on top of our 'non-glueable' water tank at the same time, still holds with no leaking. For less than $5 for a tube, it's worth a try...