PDA

View Full Version : Felder Mobility Kit

Ralph Butts
11-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Just took possession of a Felder F900 shaper and I would like to take advantage of the Felder 10% sale this weekend to purchase the mobility kit for it. I cannot find any installation information on mobility kit for this model machine. From looking at the photos of the pieces of the kit it is not clear how the rear wheels are mounted to the unit. This unit is extremely heavy and I want to know if machine must be lifted to install the kit. Thanks for the help.

I am adding a link to the Felder mobility kit as it does not appear to be like the Hammer kit using an axle.
http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/en-US/Planing/Accessories/Rolling-carriages/The-comfort-rolling-carriage-with-lifting-bar.html

David Hawxhurst
11-30-2014, 8:53 AM
if it installs anything like the kit on my 741 then yes you need to lift the machine. you probably get way with lifting only one side at a time to mount the wheels then do the other side.
have you joined the felder owners group (FOG) yet? someone there has probably has already done this.

Jim Andrew
11-30-2014, 9:00 AM
I added the mobility kit to my K3 Winner tablesaw. Think I put the axle in first, then used a flat bar to raise one side at a time to slip the wheels on. The bracket for the tow bar just bolts in place, then you use the tow bar to lift it.

David Kumm
11-30-2014, 10:52 AM
If you are talking about the two wheel sets and lifting arm for the front, you don't need to do more than extend the leveling pads to full height but if it is like my old F7, the access to tighten the bolts may need to come from underneath. I don't know if 900 is predrilled but the wheels don't raise the shaper much. Good system for a shaper. Dave

Ralph Butts
11-30-2014, 10:58 AM
If you are talking about the two wheel sets and lifting arm for the front, you don't need to do more than extend the leveling pads to full height but if it is like my old F7, the access to tighten the bolts may need to come from underneath. I don't know if 900 is predrilled but the wheels don't raise the shaper much. Good system for a shaper. Dave

Hi Dave and thanks for chiming in. This is my first Felder machine experience so I have no previous familiarity to compare to. The base of the 900 is predrilled. I did not see any leveling pads on the unit but I am still unpacking it from its shipping pallet. The kit consists of two frame mounted wheels and the front mounted lifting arm. I was looking for a manual for this unit a few weeks ago to see how the wheels mount. I still need to open the base of the unit, maybe I will there will be an "aha" moment. Thanks again.

David Hawxhurst
11-30-2014, 11:14 AM
if its still on the pallet can you leave it there till the wheels get there? if so you could put the edge of the shaper off the pallet to mount the wheel, then once the wheels are on you could make a ramp to move the shaper off the pallet.

Ralph Butts
11-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the input. That is exactly the plan if the wheels mount from underneath. I think a johnson bar and some blocking should do the trick.

David Kumm
11-30-2014, 12:03 PM
301187301188301189 If your base is similar, the access to the bolts is easy from the side. Dave

Ralph Butts
11-30-2014, 1:08 PM
Dave after looking at your pics I had to go out to the shop and look at my machine to see if it was the same. At first glance mine appears different. I took a peek inside the cabinet and can see what appears to be threaded holes in bottom of the cabinet for leveling feet. They are located in either corner of the from of the machine. If these holes are for the levelers than I can see that the orientation of the mobility kit is as yours. However the rear of my unit is offset at either corner and I am just having a difficult time picturing how the rolling feet will mount to the unit. There are some holes but they are inside of the protruding portion of the rear of the cabinet. My photo does not do a good job of showing that.
301193 301194

David Kumm
11-30-2014, 1:46 PM
You can change the direction of the wheels in the housing so they can also be mounted on the sides. I have also mounted steel plates to machines and the wheels to the plates. Dave

Jim Becker
11-30-2014, 6:24 PM
If you need to lift the machine to install, just use a lever (2x4 and some blocks of wood) and have a helper slip some wood blocks under to support it while you do the work. Reverse to lower back down.