PDA

View Full Version : help changing PM 60 jointer cutterhead bearings

Mike Rother
11-29-2014, 9:08 PM
Hi all-
attempting my first deep dive into a PM 60 resto. About to tackle changing the cutterhead bearings. Manual says one bearing is an:

MRC 205SZZ

the other is a

Hoover 99 R 12

searched online and can find the MRC 205SZZ but no luck with the Hoover. I've searched on the forum here and have seen people refer to new R 12s, I just dont know where or what to ask for. I'm a total novice when it comes to this. Any help on pointing me in the right direction as to where to get and what to ask for would be great.
also-
if anyone has done this before, should I be changing anything else while I have it apart? Housing etc?

thanks a million for any help

Nate Conley
11-29-2014, 9:48 PM
I restored my 60. (1971) the bearing numbers will be on the bearings. Just remove the old ones, mark down the brand and numbers and call a place that can order them for you. They are fairly inexpensive. You will need a bearing puller to get them removed.

David Kumm
11-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Go over to owwm.org and you should find the info. Hoover used a different numbering system than most so be careful of that conversion. R12 should be an imperial rather than metric size. Dave

Rick Lizek
11-30-2014, 6:39 AM
http://m.harborfreight.com/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-93980.html
This is the bearing puller you want. You didn't give any reason why you are changing the bearings. Are you changing them just because you are refurbishing the jointer? If you know what you're doing it's a 15 minute job.

Rick Lizek
11-30-2014, 6:58 AM
A bearing supplier can cross reference to Hoover numbers to another manufacturer. You don't need to use the Hoover brand. To put the new bearings on you can use a piece of tubing that sits on the inner race and tap it on or a block of wood. You can probably find tutorials on YouTube or OWWM.

Bob Vaughan
11-30-2014, 5:17 PM
Those bearings should be 6204LL and R12LL if you're ordering from Accurate. Nachi brand or equal will do.

The 6205 is not a size I've ever seen on a 60, but I haven't seen all 60s either. The accurate catalog will confirm sizes. The 6205 bearing has a bore of nearly one inch (25mm), and the 6204 has a bore of 20 mm, about 3/4". That should be a quick and obvious difference.