PDA

View Full Version : Need Plane Information

Norman Hitt
07-17-2005, 7:06 PM
A friend brought me a plane that had been his Grandfathers that he would like me to clean up for him. It is pretty rusty, however there doesn't seem to be any deep pitting anywhere on the frame's casting, but I'm not sure if it's quality would make it worth the cleanup and tuning effort. Due to wrist problems, I'm not very heavy into the Neander bit, so I'm not all that knowledgeable about the different brands/models of planes, although I do have a limited number of my own, (both Iron and wood), so here's the question.

The plane is 9" long and has NO markings on the frame casting anywhere. The plate that holds the Iron in says Fulton. On the back of the casting that attaches to the frame with two large machine cap screws and holds the Iron in place, has a 3 stamped on the back at the top left, and a Capital A stamped in the top right corner. Can anyone tell me anything about this plane? I would suspect it is just a cheap plane of some sort, and maybe not worth the effort to fix it up, but what do I know? :confused:

I wish I could find my old picture that shows all the plane parts and their names, as It's been so long since I fooled with hand planes that I just can't remember them. The tip of the little arm that goes from the screw in/out adjustment knob at the back up to the Iron and pivots on a nother steel pin, is broken off right where it goes into the iron, and the only screws I have been able to loosen and remove thus far, (haven't given up yet :) , are the two that hold the wooden handles on, the knob on front that lets you remove the iron, and the knob on the rear that adjusts the iron. So, what do you think, is it worth the effort to make it a user?

Any comments and info about this plane would be greatly apreciated.

Richard Gillespie
07-17-2005, 9:04 PM
Norman;

From the information you've given, I'd venture a guess that you have a Fulton #3 smoothing plane. To my knowledge they are not considered a collectible item. I did a search on the net and found one reference to that brand. The article claimed that Fulton planes were manufactured by Sargent for sale as a off brand for Sears.

The plane you are working on may have some sentimental value having been handed down to the owner from a grandfather. You and he will have judge it's true worth.

Charles McKinley
07-17-2005, 9:15 PM
Hi Norman,

It sounds like it in a number 3 Fulton. Fulton made mediocre Stanley knockoffs. There maybe some sentimental value to it but I think that would be enhanced by him doing the work himself after he has decided he wants to do more hand tool work.

Check to see if the bottom is flat. The Fulton no. 4 I bought before I knew better was severly concave and reqired a lot of lapping.

Could it be an acceptable user? Probably

Is it worth it? To you, depends on how much you are charging him. To him, I think it depends on how close he was or wanted to be to his grandfather.

This comes from my very limited knowledge of planes and may not be worth much.

Norman Hitt
07-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Richard & Chuck, Thanks Guys. You have reinforced my thoughts about the plane. I'm just doing it as a favor, and I know He wolud never get around to refurbing it himself, (that's why he brought it over to me). After all, the rest of his tools are in my shop as well. :D I did get the rest of the screws all loose without twisting any off, (like I did on an old one of mine when I started refurbing it). The sole seems reasonably flat, so I may continue with the project for a while. the wood handles both have to have new ones made as they dried out and split, soooooooo........maybe I'll crank up his lathe and turn a new front one, and then we'll see how it goes for making a new rear one. Maybe we can at least make it good enough to be useful around the shop, as I don't have a # 3.